Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Intermittent corruption of published web pages

Dear fellow XWD users. I have an intermittent problem which is driving me to distraction as I cannot see what the cause is. I have uploaded to our host (1&1) a number of pages 100% authored using XWD. Most of the time the page online is stable, but then I get a call/email from a surfer who reports the page is so distorted as to be unreadable. I visit the page from my PC – perfect, as it has been. I visit from a 2nd (virgin) PC – fine – I visit from a 3rd PC – a complete mess. Not even forced refresh solves the problem. There seems to be no pattern, the page will be fine most of the time and then occasionally corrupted, irrespective of PC, logoff/login/ refresh, etc.
    Two images are attached; “OK” and “Corrupted” so you can see what I mean.
    Any help, suggestions, directions, etc. would be most welcome.
    Kind regards to you all.
    Dan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corrupted.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	70393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OK.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	70394  

Last edited by DanCarey; 09 March 2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling error and amendment

Default Re: Intermittent corruption of published web pages

There really is no other answer Dan.

As you're sure to have read in the other numerous threads regarding the same phenomenon, the cause is due to new edits/changes (which changes the numerical sorting order of exported images) and re uploads.

My only suggestion to you would be to delete the files from the server before you re publish.
    Of course this means you must use an FTP client rather than relying on Xara's built-in one.

Many thanks (again) Sledger. (You have helped me out on a previous posting too)
    I didn't see the other postings on this phenomenon.
    I will try this and let you know how I get on.
    Thanks again.
    Dan.

Do we know if there are any plans to address this issue in future releases? I have seen it talked about many times but dont recall anyone ever saying it was "being addressed"?

Dan welcome to the forums This is an annoyance I agree, if you check this thread:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...=force+refresh

There are details of a "no cache" line of code that can be added via a placeholder named <head> it stop the browser storing images internally which is what basically causes the distortion, however it will slow load times down a weeeeee on image rich sites, I use it currently as a wrokaround on sites I update regularly.

Hope that helps

Chris

I had an issue where after upload the HTML of some pages would be corrupted, such as the last couple of lines of the old page appearing after the final </html> of the new upload. Only intermittent, actually a bit uncommon, but very annoying when it happened. I was publishing via an external FTP client, and one day (after it had happened a couple of times in one day) I dumped the client I was using and switched to another. Hasn't happened since.

The other workaround is, of course, to delete the old stuff before uploading the new, but being free to avoid that step is nice.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

I always though the problem was more to do with was was stored in your browsers internal cache? So deleting everything from your server first although excellent practice would not alter what is in a persons internal cache.

Maybe I misunderstand somewhere but for me to solve this problem the simple ctrl and f5 to force a browser refresh has always worked, the point being expecting clients and site viewers to do this how would they know?

Interesting you didn't experience the problem yourself after changing ftp clients though, cant really see how that would make much if any difference at all?

Chris

My case wasn't old cache information, the actual uploaded files were corrupted. Clearing the cache would just re-load the corrupted pages in that case.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

OK had my wires crossed lol it has been known

I may have chimed in here with something irrelevant then ooops my bad sorry op

Chris

No, no, it's also quite possible the OP's situation was reading from cache after the image numbers had changed in the software. I was just chiming in with a case to point out that you can't always assume it's a cache issue: sometimes corruption DOES happen.

I had the same problem after making a few changes to my site, now every time I make a change I delete all the files off the server before I upload, solves the problem.

Kash