Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: index.htm

Question index.htm

Should my home page file name be called index.htm or index.html? My hosting company tell me to call it index.html, but when I do this there also seems to be a file automatically loaded up from Xara called index.htm. If I call it index.htm then I just have the one file. Which ever it is called, both seem to work, but I was just wandering which is the correct way. Is it a problem having a both files?

Default Re: index.htm

.htm is a bit of a throwback to when some computers could only handle three character file suffixes. I always use .html, but there's nothing to say .htm is bad, but I would go for one or the other and stick to that for all your web pages. Don't have both, it will eventually get confusing - one day you will forget to update both of them.

If you are going to be doing a lot of work with Xara software leave it as .htm becuase xara exports websites as .htm as standard saves you changing all the file extensions when as Paul mentioned it makes next to no difference to anything anyhow

hope that helps

Chris

Just make sure you don't have 2 index files, index.htm and index.html. When someone types in a URL such as mywebsite.com, the browser looks first for mywebsite.com/index.htm, and if it doesn't find it then for mywebsite.htm/index.html. I personally stick with .htm on everything to avoid confusion.

Jim
    Last edited by jimhanus; 08 March 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Thumbs up Re: index.htm

Thanks every one for your help.