Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Auto save it

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Auto save it

I downloaded Auto Save It this morning to give it a try, and for the most part it has worked great. Although once I was exporting a drawing as a png and everything locked up and even my mouse pointer was frozen. The only way I got out of it was to hit ctrl+alt+delete and bring up the windows task manager. I'm wondering if the auto save kicked in just as I tried to export and caused the crash? I have never had this happen while exporting before. Has any one else had this happen while running Xtreme and Auto Save It before?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: Auto save it

I used ASI for a few weeks but though I had no crash or freeze problems I actually found it to be a bit of a nuisance. A couple of times I forgot it was loaded and it auto saved / overwrote a file I was only experimenting with or intended to save as a different file name. AutoSave it kicked in before I realised.
    So I dumped it.

I haven't bothered for the same reason I am always tinkering in xar files if I make a mess I like being able to hit the x and then discard lol my own kind of backup plan ha ha ha

Chris

If it saves your work once it is worth it, however.

Gary's law. The longer you go without saving your work, the greater likelihood of Xara crashing and you losing all your work.

I think getting into the habit of saving often is the best way. That Ctrl-S can be a life saver.

Murphy's Law: Drop a piece of buttered toast and chances are the butter side will land down.
    Patman = Patrick Mangner

Alzimers. What's that, I forgot. Growing old is not for Wimps
    My first created site harryshilltop.com

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have pretty much decided to get rid of Auto Save It. I haven't had any more crashes but ASI has an anoying habit if I have Xara running and something else and I'm going back and forth everytime ASI kicks in it takes me back to the Xara document whether there are any changes to save or not!

Nothing beats Ctrl+s regularly I'm used to saving frequently so it's really not been worth it for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I used ASI for a few weeks but though I had no crash or freeze problems I actually found it to be a bit of a nuisance. A couple of times I forgot it was loaded and it auto saved / overwrote a file I was only experimenting with or intended to save as a different file name. AutoSave it kicked in before I realised.
    So I dumped it.
    Yep, that was my only problem with it too, you have to rename as soon as you load a file, otherwise your original file gets overwritten.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Well, I tried AutoSave It but I still prefer the small app called Saver. I've used it for years with Xara and it works great! Never had a crash with it. I have a shortcut on my desktop so it's easily accessible. It doesn't install, just runs in the background with a little tray icon and takes less memory (4504K) than the other program, and, it's FREE!

You can download it at http://www.korokithakis.net/downloads. Just scroll down till you see "Saver 2.1.0." I find it indispensable when I work in Xara and it has "saved" the day many times for me. Of course, you have to be careful to not have it running if you are doing some work on a file that you don't want to overwrite, but that would be true for any auto backup app you may use.