Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Invert Values on Gradients and Bitmaps.

Sometimes, if I want to create an object with transparency where the transparency is on the inside and the opacity is on the outside, I have select nodes and move sliders. I wish there was a button or function that would simple exchange the start and end values.

Sometimes when editing images that I would like to use as transparency, the same problem exists. Sometimes, I need the black to be white and the white to be black. I wish there was as simple way of achieving this without sliders and selecting nodes.

Also, this inverting of the image would help when aligning photos.
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Invert Values on Gradients and Bitmaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
    Sometimes when editing images that I would like to use as transparency, the same problem exists. Sometimes, I need the black to be white and the white to be black. I wish there was as simple way of achieving this without sliders and selecting nodes.

Also, this inverting of the image would help when aligning photos.
    With the image selected, right click white on the color line and select Set Contone Dark Color, then right click black and select Set Contone Light Color.

This will reverse the white and black.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I am aware of this technique. It's just inconvenient.

With image selected, right click doesn't work for me on the color line. I have to switch to bitmap, select node and then click black and then select the other node and click white. My goal is to have a button or function that will do this automatically for any two values or colors. So if I had a gradient going from red to blue, I'd like to hit a button and make it go from blue to red.

With regard to images, a single button that would invert a bitmap would be far more convenient than editing the contones of a bitmap fill to achieve the same effect.
    Sheff
    My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
    With image selected, right click doesn't work for me on the color line.
    Hi Sheff,

Have you set the right-click options for the color line to show menu?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	right-click-showmenu.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	70498

+ 1 Sheff

xara have already promised us a keyshortcut to reverse the path of a stroke shape/pressure profile - a similar shortcut to reverse the direction of a transparency/gradient I would put up on a par with this
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sheff, I know what you are saying and I agree it would be nice if the user could specify how they'd like the transparency tool to do this. In a similar vein, I have long wished, when doing linear, circular, and ellipical fills that they would start from the Flat-fill color and end in white when dragging or when applying to an existing Flat-filled object. This would be similar to how the transparency tools currently work.

If we couldn't set and save this in Options, having a "Reverse" button in the Standard bar or the Info Bar for the Fill Tool and Transparency (similar to the Reverse Path button found in the Shape Editor Info bar) would be a nice alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    In a similar vein, I have long wished, when doing linear, circular, and ellipical fills that they would start from the Flat-fill color and end in white when dragging or when applying to an existing Flat-filled object.
    Easily done in seconds via the colour editor.

Name:	reverse-flat-fill.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	70515

I don't really understand some of these Dear Xara requests recently. It seems like many people have an idea and want a one button solution instead of learning the tools which are already there.

Your right there Steve with your last statement. Just think what you have to remember when your working in AI! Xara is easy when you compare the two programmes in keyboard shortcuts and programme menu commands.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Hi Sheff,

Have you set the right-click options for the color line to show menu?

Name:	right-click-showmenu.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	70498
    Ah yes. I have mine set so that right click choses the line color because more often than not, that is what I'm doing. One click achieves what I need. In prior versions of Xara, this was the default behavior so I set it that way.

In order to get the menu, I need to go to options and set it so it shows the menu on right click, right click on white choose contone, and right click on black and choose the other contone. I admit this is fairly fast, but a single button that reverses values would be better.

If I maintain this menu, I would need to right click to change line color and then choose the appropriate menu item. I actually hate this menu. Left click fill right click line is efficient. This menu gives you really on only two choices unless you have a bitmap selected.

Let me say this: One of the best things about Xara is that you can create toolbars that will show every function in Xara as a button. That is a HUGE appeal. This is why people get angry that whenever they have to reload a new version, they have to RESET their toolbars. I RARELY go up to the menubar to do anything if there is a button for what I need. In addition, I customize my buttons and shortcut keys.

I wouldn't ask for a 'reverse values' function if it existed as either a shortcut key or as a button. I shouldn't have to choose between the convenience of right clicking for a line color and right clicking and dealing with a menu.

When creating art, you want to look at what you've done and evaluate it. You don't want to be taken out of a creative mindset and then be forced to read menus. It's also frustrating when you accidentally overshoot your menu choice, especially on high res monitors.

But when it comes to color images, I have to pass the bitmap into photoshop, hit CTRL+I and pass it back. I think this is something that should be able to be achieved within Xara.
    Sheff
    My Site

as a colorist it would speed up my work a lot - a few seconds, every few seconds, mounts up into a pain

we do not all use xtreme the same way for the same things - its patronising to suggest that all you need to do is learn to use the tools that are already there - the point is those tools could be improved from the point of view of given workflows - and that is what this forum is actually for n'ce'pas?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...