Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Should support for IE6 be maintained in future versions of Xara web software?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

17 77.27%
  • Yes

5 22.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Should support for IE6 be maintained in future versions of Xara web software?

Ensuring cross-browser compatibility for even the most recent incarnations of each browser can sometimes be a web designer's nightmare, trying to maintain backwards compatability for legacy software adds even more stress and wasted time (and money) to the serious web developer and often means that some cool feature, script or widget cannot be used.

Google's recent altercation in China preceded their announcement that support for IE6 is being dropped as of March 1st (Read announcement)
    "YouTube sets March 13 as the IE6 kill date.
    But IE6 isn't the only aged browser that YouTube has put on its hit list: It will also stop supporting 2005's Safari 2.x, 2006's Firefox 2.x and 2009's Chrome 3.x. IE6, however, is the oldest by far: Microsoft released the browser in mid-2001, several months before shipping Windows XP." (source: http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._IE6_kill_date)

So how do you vote?
    Should support for IE6 be maintained in future versions of Xara web software?
    No = People should be responsible for embracing new standards by ensuring they keep their PC's and browser software up to date?
    Yes = It is the the responsibility of the web designer and software houses to make sure a site looks and functions well in IE6 (and IE6 based clones).
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 February 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Default Re: Should support for IE6 be maintained in future versions of Xara web software?

Die Die Die you spawn of Satan .......... ahem .... sorry ... I vote no. sounds like March 13th is a good time for a party

Default Re: Should support for IE6 be maintained in future versions of Xara web software?

In case of dropping support for this browser, it would be not hard at all to add a tweak that will warn IE6 using visitors that the page may look somewhat incorrect in their current browser and recommend them to upgrade it. Or any other custom message for that matter.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Die Die Die you spawn of Satan .......... ahem .... sorry ... I vote no. sounds like March 13th is a good time for a party
    Ha ha ha couldn't agree more definately spawn of Satan lol

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    In case of dropping support for this browser, it would be not hard at all to add a tweak that will warn IE6 using visitors that the page may look somewhat incorrect in their current browser and recommend them to upgrade it. Or any other custom message for that matter.
    This sounds like a plan to me, anyone with a home computer should really realise from the most basic points of view that the technology is constantly evolving and in order for the evolution to continue and be successful updates to software are required.

I do realise some people dont even realise this most basic of facts I think some of the responsibility should land on Microsoft's door mat and they should somehow "force" very important updates as these, I always look forward to downloading and using new browser software (sad I know lol) I know I have a different mindset but I always like to have the latest software and indeed hardware, I dont go crazy with the hardware and would never dream of spending thousands of pounds but I always make sure my machines are as up to date as they can be within reason

I vote no kick it to the touchline

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

As much as I am against this normally, I voted yes. The only reason for this, is that I know for a fact that there are whole instutions who are using antiquated versions of Windows (2000) for other reasons. Some of these institutions mission critical software will not run on Vista or above. I suspect that these institutions are using 2000 instead of XP for cost reasons but that is just a guess. These institutions are still running IE6 as well. I have checked and there is no IE8 for Win2000.

If there are instutions out there that are guilty of this behavior, think about the poor individuals out there. Not everyone is as computer savy as we are. My father wouldn't know how to copy and paste if I hadn't patiently explained it 20 times, and I am still in danger of getting a phone call asking to explain it again. My father wouldn't know how to update his browser if I told him he needed to do it (and why should he it works for him).

I agree that these are a silly reasons. However, it seems to me that it may be a bit crazy to alienate a significant portion of the web surfing community, just because they are using anitquated software.

Let me restate that I don't like having to keep support for old software. I just think that it might alienate a significant portion of the people who view our end products, if we don't.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    The only reason for this, is that I know for a fact that there are whole instutions who are using antiquated versions of Windows (2000) for other reasons. .... I have checked and there is no IE8 for Win2000.
    I have Windows 2000 machine too and it runs Firefox very well, including all the latest updates. And it's free of course.
    that it might alienate a significant portion of the people who view our end products
    Yes. Current numbers are as follows:

IE7+IE8 - ~37%
    Firefox - ~28%
    IE6 - ~20%
    Chrome - ~5.5%
    Safari - ~5%
    Opera - ~2%

So IE6 share is still quite significant.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    I have Windows 2000 machine too and it runs Firefox very well, including all the latest updates. And it's free of course.
    Yes. Current numbers are as follows:

IE7+IE8 - ~37%
    Firefox - ~28%
    IE6 - ~20%
    Chrome - ~5.5%
    Safari - ~5%
    Opera - ~2%

So IE6 share is still quite significant.
    Wow those numbers are quite intersting 20% of millions and millions of people is quite big

Surely official support for Windows 2000 is no more, I know Microsoft are thinking of stopping supporting XP so how can Windows 200 be anywhere near up to date? (I know you were saying FF was upto date and not Win2000) Surely it will just break at some stage and become unfixable? Mind you I have stumbled across machines recently still using Windows 98!!! lol

Quite a dilema really for developers I am still sticking with "no" though after all unless people are "forced" to update and change and indeed find out how to update they never will.

Chris

I worked for a company that was not known for using updated computers. We were upgrading to XP in 2007 (only 6 years after that OS release )

Windows 2000 supports IE7. Windows 98 SE is the only OS on any of my personal machines that cannot upgrade beyond IE6.

Should a web developer be concerned with people that are using outdated machines, OS, or web browsers? I would recommend supporting your clients technology and let the rest of the world take care of itself.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

My point is that, Yes, a web developer should be concerned with people using outdated machines when 20% of the population is doing exactly that. I don't like that it is that way, but it simply is.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric I can see that if you develop for general web access. Fortunately my concern is primarily intranet with absolutely no internet access to the pages.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update