Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Talking Google webmaster tools crawl errors

Hello Everyone

I use Google Webmaster Tools as standard for all my sites client or my own, have just noticed on 1 of them that it is reporting 3 broken links for pages that have not been used for a long time, in fact they were part of an old site design that was thrown away over 12 months ago, the server only has the current site on it with no links to these pages because it was a completely re-built site but yet Dr G is still reporting on them? Ther is also an up to date sitemap I am a little OCD with sitemaps they get done without exceptions every time a new page is added.

ANy ideas?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Default Re: Google webmaster tools crawl errors

Hi Chris

I assume the errors are “not found” under the crawl errors headings on the webmasters dashboard, if so that relates to those pages that you have removed from the server however the urls are still indexed on Google and have been clicked hence the errors, I have this problem on a site I have redesigned, not sure how long those old url’s stay on Google though.

Manny2k

Default Re: Google webmaster tools crawl errors

I thought so, I just assumed wrongly lol that Google would have someway of knowing the page was gone rather than unavavailable, I might shoot them an email it is on a couple of them now and I always ending checking as well lol

Thanks for the reply

Chris