Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XaraXtremePro and XaraWebdesigner

Hi,
    My name is Carlos and i have just register in order to get some information about XaraXtremePro and XaraWebdesigner.

Well to start i am confused with so much information about these software. I am intending to buy a powerful web-design tool and i came across Xara´s products. What i would like to know from you that already knows how it works is that i want to build sites and i want to use the proper tool and i am not so sure if XaraXtremePro is a better version of XaraWebdesign.

If not please tell me which is the best software form Xara to build very rich and professional websites.

Thank you for your attention

Carlos

Default Re: XaraXtremePro and XaraWebdesigner

Hello Carlos,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I have moved your post into a web design forum dedicated to Xara Web Designer and Xtreme. The forum where you had post is dedicated for questions specific to Gary David Bouton's book: The Official Guide to Xara Xtreme Pro. Since your question is related to web design and not the Gary's book it this is the best location.

Xara Web Designer is a subset of the Xara Xtreme Pro 5.1 version. Xtreme Pro contains more vector graphics tools and more bitmap editing features. The Web Design features are identical in both Web Designer and Xtreme.

I do not know what your interpretation of "Professional" may be and what your expectations are for a Web Design application.

Many Professional sites are created using no more than Notepad and some graphic software.

The Web Design features in Xara's applications are based on a very WYSIWYG approach.

You can download a trial version of Web Designer to see if it meets you requirements. http://www.xara.com
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Xara Xtreme Pro is the best product. It has all the website design features that Web Designer has, and it has a wide range of drawing and bitmap editing tools.

Thank you Soquili and gwpriester for your post.

Sorry but i could not login with my first register name for the sistem kept saying wrong password.

You are right Soquili about what is "professional". here i leave you a link in order you to see what i am intending to do with the right tool... By the way, is XaraPro capable of doing a site similar to this?
    (please link to see it)

http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile...213.css&page=0

By the way, does XaraPro protect our images from being copy or stolen?

Thank you once more

Carlos it is possible to create individual sites that look like those represented in the link you provided. Xara's Web Designer and Xtreme products do not work with CSS in a manner that you could create a page that could be changed as easily as the page in your link.

BTW there is no product named Xara, there is a Xara Group Ltd. company. They create software named Web Designer, Xtreme, Xtreme Pro, etc.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by carlosgf1 View Post
    is XaraPro capable of doing a site similar to this?
    (please link to see it)

http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile...213.css&page=0
    The CSS Zen garden is quite beautifull, but it is dependent on the CSS skills of the designer - a skilled art indeed.

By contrast, Xtreme Pro allows designers to develop page layouts using graphics tools and requires no knowledge of CSS behaviour. A very differrent proposition.

The Zen garden is a great showcase for the Power of CSS and the design flair of designers who understand CSS well. Consequently, as the site shows the site layouts can be changed completely whilst keeping the same content and navigation. Don't underestimate the skill of the designers that produced these layouts - they understand HTML and CSS very well.

In contrast, Xtreme requires you to know very little about HTML and CSS at all, so the learning curve is very shallow in comparison. In Xtreme, you layout your page and that is it. It is not amenable to restyling with CSS and unlike the zen garden will not be adapatable "out of the box" to variable page sizes or fluid layouts.

The fact that you are even asking the question about zen garden in comparison with Xtreme web layouts, indicates to me that your HTML/CSS skills are probably not great and generating such layouts would be a difficullt proposition for you - for some time anyway.

Xtreme would allow you to build sophisticated layouts - but not with the flexibility of CSS and none of the complication. It is not an HTML editor - it is a page/site designer that generates HTML.

Try before you buy- Xtreme does great things but it is not perfect. Because it makes things easy for the designer, it comes at a cost of generating a particular kind of HTML - very different to that of the CSS zen garden.

Web design is a skill. Don't expect to be doing Zen garden work from day one. No tool will help you do that.

By the way, does XaraPro protect our images from being copy or stolen?
    No, but then again nothing else protects images on the web very well either. No matter which software you use, once it's shown on a web page, I can copy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Carlos it is possible to create individual sites that look like those represented in the link you provided. Xara's Web Designer and Xtreme products do not work with CSS in a manner that you could create a page that could be changed as easily as the page in your link.
    As I am not a student of CSS (I tried to learn it once) I have some difficulties to understand why is Zen Garden so different (and i mean the layout=design) from that which XaraX can do. But as i have said, i have no knowledge of that code.

Soquili, a question arouse muy mind and it has to do with the adaptability of the layout to the elements that we insert inside it. For example adding a large text on apage built with XaraX would allowed the layout to "follow" the end of the text?

Thank

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    The CSS Zen garden is quite beautifull, but it is dependent on the CSS skills of the designer - a skilled art indeed.
    Very good information you have just posted here pauland. And thank you for that.

I managed to understand that in Zen Garden the layout is the only thing that changes.

I learned something of HTML and CSS. I was lately learning PHP but realized that it would take me a hard time and i would like to built sites as quick as possible.
    that is why i stop those things and try to buy a good tool in order to do that.

I will try XaraX and i will realized what you mean by "a particular kind of HTML".

About the protection, not every body knows how to copy/paste from a site that is protected (i myself came across one and tried to copy an image but i was not successful. As I others could not be capable if they find a site protected. Do you know any software which do that ?

Thank you for the help!

I think that most of these protection systems just use javascript. As I said, protection is easy to get around.

If people take a copy of an image, how would that injure you? It may seem like an odd question, but there's a big difference between people copying images to reuse them for themselves (these people will probably know how to get the original image anyway) and people just wanting a nice windows backdrop.

If this is real concern use lower resolution images on the web and/or crop them and add copyright text to them. It's about as much as you can do.

Ultimately if you don't want people taking your images - don't show them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosgf View Post
    not every body knows how to copy/paste from a site that is protected
    There is a special key on the keyboard to do this. It's called "Print Screen".
    John.