Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paint Shop Photo Professional X3

I'm surprised that no one has yet posted about this latest release (announced on Jan.26th, I believe), complete with yet anouther name change. I'm running PSP X2 Photo Utltimate and am really struggling with whether or not I want to shell out $59.99 for an upgrade.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has been putting X3 through its paces? If so, care to share your initial thoughts with us? I'm being cheeky because I am not willing to do this myself at this point. X2 works very well on my system (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and I don't want to mess that up until I am sure that I might be serious about the possibility of upgrading.

My final point is this: doesn't $59.99 seem steep compared to previous upgrades, or am I just getting fuddled? This is actually a limited time offer, after Feb. 7 the price for an upgrade goes to $79.99.

For those interested, here are some of the highlights of this release:

Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 Highlights

• All-new Organizer: The new integrated Organizer includes tools for rating, tagging, locating and quickly touching up image files. The Organizer also makes it easy to select images and view them in multiple ways. In just a few clicks, RAW images can be converted to another format for posting, photo sharing or printing.

• Multi-photo Adjustments: Editing and enhancing is faster than ever now that changes made to an image can be captured and easily applied to multiple photos, removing the tedium of making the same changes over and over again.

• Smart Carver(TM): Quickly achieve impressive results by seamlessly and realistically removing objects and scaling without distorting the image.

• Express Lab: Bringing the most used tools together in one place, the Express lab now adds Color Balance, Local Tone Mapping, Contrast/Brightness, Sharpen and One Step Noise Removal.

• Camera RAW Lab: Supporting more than 350 RAW formats, the new RAW Lab makes it easy to adjust a variety of settings, such as white balance, exposure, brightness and saturation before processing. Adjustments made to any RAW image can be copied and applied to other RAW images in the Organizer.

• Object Extractor: It's quick and easy to precisely mask fine image details that are otherwise difficult to preserve – even challenging cases such as fly away hair, wisps of smoke and tree branches.

• Project Creator: This one stop tool makes it easy to create, edit and share projects. Produce photo books, collages, cards, calendars and photo slideshows including HD video in a few clicks. Share to YouTube(TM), Facebook® or Flickr®. Photo projects can also be printed through Corel's online print service.

Familiar Favorites Plus New Photo-Painting Features

In addition to a number of new and enhanced features, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 continues to offer the advanced photo editing power of favorite features including HDR Photo Merge, Local Tone Mapping, Curves and Levels adjustments, Perspective Correction, plus tools including the Learning Center that help new photo enthusiasts get familiar with the application and create great results fast. Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 also includes Corel® Painter(TM) Photo Essentials 4 to get started with digital art. Offering the unique Auto-Painting palette, Corel Painter Photo Essentials 4 enables users to create a stunningly realistic work of art from a photo in just three easy steps.
    IP

Default Re: Paint Shop Photo Professional X3

My final point is this: doesn't $59.99 seem steep compared to previous upgrades, or am I just getting fuddled?
    Download trial version and check yourself.I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 6GB RAM and X3 behave very well.
    PSPX2 Ultimate
    IP

Thank you for the reply and the info about your system and how PSP X3 works.
    IP

Won't install on my XP Home SP3 system. New price for upgrade is $19.99 and you can use a freeshipping coupon. Don't have the link handy, is on my desktop. Tech support said that the retail install disc should install ok even though the downloaded try before you buy version didn't so I've risked the $20 upgrade to find out.
    IP

Thanks for that! When you get a moment, could you direct me to the $19.99 upgrade? Currently, all I can find are offers for $69 upgrades ($59 as per the e-mail offer I received).
    IP

I'm still waiting for my CD to arrive. I prefer upgrading via boxset rather than download.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Link for the $19.99 upgrade for is http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/st...0103&langId=-1

use coupon FREESHIPPING to get free shipping on the box version - I do not know if that applies to US only or not.

I purchased it today but the free shipping coupon could expire any time and the $19.99 deal expires Feb 7. States that is for those that have purchased X2 in the last 90 days. My copy of X2 is old but I still qualified for the deal by buying a bargain priced 2nd copy of X2 for hubby recently.
    IP

Brilliant, Diana! That worked - thank you

I ordered from Canada and was charged GST on the purchase, which was in USD, so total came to $20.99.

Cheers!

EDIT: I should note that I ordered the download version AND that I ordered from the US site. When I changed to the Canadian site, I was re-directed to Corel's homepage with no mention of this offer. When I switched back to the US site, I got the same thing... So, I can't be sure that this offer is available outside of the US.
    Last edited by Darwin; 02 February 2010 at 01:55 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Paint Shop Photo Professional X3 upgrade for $20

I bought the download for $20 US and I am in Australia. I was told it was stated in a Corel news group that it was available for registered versions 10 and upwards... so maybe I am out of pocket $20 and a 436 MB download... The offer closes 7th.
    Win
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post

So, I'm wondering if anyone has been putting X3 through its paces? If so, care to share your initial thoughts with us?
    I have been running X3 for several days now on a system with Windows 7 64 bit and 8 gigs of RAM.

On Windows 7 this version seems to manage memory much better, and I have been running Organizer, slowing adding additional image folders without crashing PSP. I have been able to get it to hang up in the full editor, however. I'm not sure why.

So far, I haven't been impressed by the new tools. This version of PSP is geared even more toward the digital photographer market, but they've kept all of the features the designers used.

Some of the minor bugs introduced several versions ago have not been fixed, but overall I think X3 is the best since Corel has been tinkering with it.

Bob

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP