Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSPX3 Bug list

Default PSPX3 Bug list

Here is my attempt to list all of the Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 bugs and irritations that have been reported to various sites on the web. Some of these bugs are more general in nature, others are likely related to specific operating system/hardware configurations. Some users/testers were so frustrated they uninstalled the trial software or requested a refund from Corel. Others, including at least one or two who have reported running on XP with 2 GB RAM, indicate satisfaction with X3.

The list in random order:

• XIF data is not processed properly; Full Editor does not read or save EIF data;
    • The RAW Lab is slow, lacks fine-tuning controls available in competitor Elements and will not correctly process highlights adjustment;
    • Internal thumbnail coding for native PSPImage format does not work in Windows 7 64 bit;
    • Preview on Image box checked in tools causes PSPX3 to crash on some systems;
    • Project Creator is slow, user unfriendly, does not show files on some systems and produces multi-versions of images in a project when there are a limited number of files in the folder being browsed;
    • Help files have finally undergone a long-overdue update, but some users prefer an onboard help system rather than online, and there’s no PDF version for those who like a printed manual;
    • Tagging of files appears to be dysfunctional;
    • Installation has been extremely slow on some systems;
    • Batch File fails when running a script that contains Picture Tube pasted to new raster layer above the background layer;
    • Keyboard shortcuts lock intermittently, clicking the mouse on any toolbar icon causes shortcuts to work again;
    • Organizer Media Tray (when in Preview mode) is not sticky. Select a file in the middle of a long list on the tray, then go to Full Editor. That file is shown in the editor. Click on Organizer returns you to the Organizer with that image still shown in Preview, but the Media Tray goes back to the very first image in the list;
    • Photo Tray from previous version was changed to “Media Tray,” but they forgot to update the name in the Full Editor;
    • Switching between Organizer and Full Editor is extremely slow on some systems;
    • Application of Resize tool after having a large file in Normal Viewing causes the smaller file to sometimes reappear in the workspace with only the lower right-hand corner in view. Clicking on Fit Image to Window causes the entire image to reappear.

I apologize if I missed getting your problem included the above list.

On my system I'm now running the Full Editor with no problems by making sure the Preview on Image box in various tools remains unchecked. I like it very much, but I look forward to Corel's first patch!

Bob

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

Default Re: PSPX3 Bug list

Thanks for the list Bob.

Fortunately for me some of those features I never use.

The thumbnails view problem is common with any 64bit OS. The command extension that creates thumbnails is most likely still written for 32bit OS and does not work with 64bit.

With 64bit Vista the thumbnails could be created by the 32bit Windows Explorer; however, it doesn't work with Windows 7 64bit.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I couldn't install the downloadable try before you buy version, but I could from the DVD I purchased. Neither version would show me the eula during the installation though, but I found it online.

I find it totally unacceptable to not provide a current pdf manual on the DVD. There's an X2 manual provided but I wanted to know about the new features without having to be online. So, I printed every page of the online help file to pdf, combined the pdf files into one file in the same order as the online help (497 pages, 23MB) and then bookmarked all the major topics much like the contents pane appears in the online help. I did not create the links between pages as I can use the search function using the previously linked blue text on a page to get to the topic or find it in the bookmarks. It's not a perfect solution and it took many hours to complete but it works for me.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by diana View Post

I find it totally unacceptable to not provide a current pdf manual on the DVD. .... I printed every page of the online help file to pdf, combined the pdf files into one file in the same order as the online help (497 pages, 23MB) and then bookmarked all the major topics much like the contents pane appears in the online help.
    Diana, I'm with you on this issue. I like to sit in my recliner, hard copy in hand, and leisurely browse the manual to learn about new features.

Bob

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by OldRadioGuy View Post
    list all of the Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 bugs and irritations that have been reported to various sites on the web.
    A couple of others that I missed (thanks to Tim).

• PSP applies an arbitrary brightening to any digital camera raw files that it opens, an action that is completely contrary to the entire reason for shooting in RAW. Dark images are so over-brightened that their lightest areas are pushed into clipping, making it impossible to reclaim the over-brightened pixels;
    • HDR Photo Merge is unusable for RAW files processed by RAW Lab because the underexposed image is brightened so much that it is useless for that purpose.
    • If palettes are set to roll up into a tab, going to either the Express Lab or Print Layout and back to the full editor causes the tabbed palettes to be duplicated. Go to the Express lab or Print Layout again and you will have three of each tab when you return to full editor.

IP

The Object Extractor tool eats away a lot of the image you are trying to extract and seems pretty useless to me.

Is this another broken item in the program?

Also my Thumbnails are not working in Windows 7 32 bit and this might be a bug.
    Last edited by Hooterville; 09 March 2010 at 06:14 PM.
    IP

Their is a thumb nail Problem with some users using 64 bit. But not with 32
    I would first check, Folder options > View. First item is not checked "always show icons never thumbnails" If that is not the fault reinstall the thumbnail handler.
    Download if you need it.
    ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/PaintShopPro/X
    IP

Thanks, Trev
    Yea, that box is not checked and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program with no luck.
    What is the thumbnail handler you are talking about?

PSPThumbnailShellExt.exe ?

Is this what I need?
    IP

Its a shell extension introduced by Jasc to make thumbnails of psp images visible in Explorer just the same way as pegs.PSP x had a problem with it not loading in to registry so it was available as a down load it its own right with a reg fix..
    There is also a third party one by Bot productions who even do a 64 bit version. Which is handy as the corel one does not seam to work in 64 bit.
    I did the reg fix on my computer after changing to WIN 7 which might have turned it on or it might have been the icon V thumb thing that I discovered by accident around a month and a half ago. Any how PSP images thumbs show in my 32 bit win 7 without problems.
    The two links point to the same file as far as i remember on is on my site as I sheared it with some folk when we could not finf the FTP corel
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Its a shell extension introduced by Jasc to make thumbnails of psp images visible in Explorer just the same way as pegs.PSP x had a problem with it not loading in to registry so it was available as a down load it its own right with a reg fix..
    There is also a third party one by Bot productions who even do a 64 bit version. Which is handy as the corel one does not seam to work in 64 bit.
    I did the reg fix on my computer after changing to WIN 7 which might have turned it on or it might have been the icon V thumb thing that I discovered by accident around a month and a half ago. Any how PSP images thumbs show in my 32 bit win 7 without problems.
    The two links point to the same file as far as i remember on is on my site as I sheared it with some folk when we could not finf the FTP corel
    Thanks again, Trev.

Which one would I be better with? The Bot productions or the PSPThumbShellExt.exe from Corel?

I was thinking it might be because I did not install the project creator when I installed X3.

Could that be my problem?
    IP