Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help, f4V files not Playing after Upload

Hello,

I uploaded a site today that was working fine in Xara and also in IE 8 locally.

When I uploaded the site to my server, two of the five Flash files are not playing.

Here is the site: www.watchmymvp.com

The suspect video is on the testimonials page.

After searching here, I can say that all of the .swf files are using the "replace with Flash" placeholder.

The Xara file is too big to upload.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Help, f4V files not Playing after Upload

Looks like you have just added the player and not the movie (the code that the player needs for the movie source is missing).

http://www.watchmymvp.com/index_htm_files/wadetestimonial.swf

Referring to your earlier thread, this was covered.
    Adding a .swf of this kind using the "replace with Flash" placeholder is not enough because the player .swf need the rest of the files.

Thanks for your help.

I guess I was fooled when it worked locally. This is not a flash gallery player, just a single video file.

If I could ask then, what is the proper way to setup a .swf movie to play?

Should I be using the html or the Flash placeholder?

And, what code do I need to put in the space?

The .f4v is located in the same folder as the .swf file.

I feel like I am asking a lot of questions, but this program seems simple but it is unknown to me.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bassman; 19 February 2010 at 10:10 PM.

The .f4v is located in the same folder as the .swf file.
    Have you uploaded the associated .f4v files?

Yes

Could it be the .f4v format?

.f4v is just a flash wrapper for .mp4 and if working locally in your browser should work once uploaded provided the same file/folder structure and files exist.

How big is the .f4v?
    Can you zip and attach it?

Sorry, it is 34 megs.

I have another .swf file with an associated .flv that is working on this site.

This page: http://watchmymvp.com/athlete-home.htm

It has the same type of placeholder, just referencing the .swf in the "replace with Flash" area.

Does the .f4v need some more code for the player to play it?

Nothing plays at that URL in any browser here.
    Checking your source I see:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="780" height="366">
    <param name="movie" value="index_htm_files/mvpmontage.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <!--[if !IE]>--><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="index_htm_files/mvpmontage.swf" width="780" height="366"><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><!--<![endif]-->

No-where in the source for that page is .flv

Again, the mvpmontage.swf just the loader (player) and as shown above, there's no other information about the content to load (play the .flv). So all I see is a black rectangle.
    The loader is just 123 kilobytes (attached)

EDIT: Strike the above.
    While I was checking your source and writing the above, your movie did at last load. I have a fast DSL connection (8mbits) and spent a few minutes on my answer, so the .flv must be huge? How big is it?
    I think perhaps they are just way too large?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 19 February 2010 at 11:51 PM.

That is strange as the link takes me right to the page and the Flash plays. It might be in cache, but the first time I checked it the file played right away.

The .flv in question is 9MB.

So if I could ask, if I do not have any reference to the .f4v or .flv files in the source code, what do I need to add to get these to work?

The "replace Flash" seems to only be for self contained .swf animations.

To be clear, all of the .swf files and movie files (flv & f4v) are in the main folder where Xara stores all of the files for the website.

I made the .swf files in Flash CS4 and pointed the loader to the video file then published the .swf So the swf is programmed to look for the .f4v file.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    The "replace Flash" seems to only be for self contained .swf animations.
    This is pretty much correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    To be clear, all of the .swf files and movie files (flv & f4v) are in the main folder where Xara stores all of the files for the website.
    I made the .swf files in Flash CS4 and pointed the loader to the video file then published the .swf So the swf is programmed to look for the .f4v file.
    If this works locally but not remotely, then check the path you have pointed the loader to.
    It should be a relative path.

PS: For the sake of curiousity, it you would like to email a sample .f4v to sledger at gmail dot com, I'd like to experiment.