Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Here's an alleyway for the Abandoned Streets map set for sci-fi/cyberpunk/post apocalypse games. You get a bonus with this one, since the other maps feature streets which are much wider than alleys, you only get partial buildings in the corners - in this map, you get one full interior space (which I entirely created in 3D), a commercial shop or small manufacturer of some kind. The roof is gone, and the uneven floor is filled with dank water, and a small tree growing inside. There's a larger partial to the left side, with stairs going up, and a closed bay door north of it. So do you think I need a second alley map for the set, or is this enough?

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street-alley.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	128459

I'll do another alleyway map, later in the series, but I was in the mood to create the first of two maps for the subway system - this map is the entry level below the street level, but above the platform and track level, which will be the next map. Everything here was created in vector using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365 ($49), except for the escalator which you can only see the top of two escalators going down to the platform level. Those were created in 3D, modeled in Wings 3D and lit/textured/rendered in Vue Creator... okay, on to the subway platform... enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-subway-entrance.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	128471

Next is the subway platform, and more empty track tunnel for the Abandoned Streets Map Set for Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk/Post-Apocalypse games. Now onto one more alleyway map, then four more maps to complete as a set of 12... enjoy!

Name:	street-subway-platform.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	128492

This is on the outskirts of town, at a railroad crossing, next to a small junkyard. Only the railroad crossing signals, the magnet crane and junk cars are 3D, everything else created in Xara... moving right along - enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-outskirts.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	128496

So the next two maps for this set was chosen, because the subway entry and platform got very positive comments on other online communities - it's a needed set location for many games, I opted to create a 2 map small regional airport. Now these maps will come in multiple formats: 70 dpi JPG files for use in Roll20 (that's the resolution it limits), 100 dpi JPG files for use in other virtual tabletop applications, and as a layered PDF file for printing purposes. Since the filthy version of the airport is less optimal for some games, I placed the weeds and filth into it's own layer in XDP, so when I export this to PDF format, the user will be able to shut off the filth layer to see a shiney, new airport instead. I'm doing the same to the subway maps for the same purpose. The other street maps have way too many layers to make a practical attempt at creating layers you can turn on and off, so will leave that option off the rest of the set. The third map posted below is the same as the first map, with the weeds/filth layer shut off.. enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-airport-front.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	128502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street-airport-waiting.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	128503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street-airport-front-clean.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	128504

Okay, second to the last map of the Abandoned Streets map set (number 11) for use in Cyberpunk/Modern/Post Apocalypse/Sci-Fi games. This is another alley map, but this one was inspired by the Kowloon walled city that once existed outside Hong Kong, where a few streets ran through this urban district of makeshift concrete boxes for buildings stacked on top of each other 10 to 15 stories, and tight pedestrian alley ways with businesses at ground level. Unlike most American cities where the alleys are places for back doors and loading docks, not for general public use, here the alleys are the shopping districts. At top center, I have a sci-fi-esque secret lab of some kind, probably illegal. Right of that is a hardware shop with a broken window - that was a fun experiment to try. Center left is what I started with, and the only fully 3D structure in the map. I wanted a diner with a half dome glass window on the side, just for interesting architecture. Bottom left is the hint of some industrial power plant of some kind, and the bottom center is a hair salon. To it's right is a cargo container garage with a vehicle inside. I had fun with this one. Last map will probably be rubble and collapsed buildings, something the set needs, and something I hadn't created yet... enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-kowloon-alley.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	128507

Finally completed the last map of the Abandoned Streets map set for Cyberpunk, Modern, Post-Apocalypse and Near Future Sci-Fi games. This one I'm calling Rubble Field, it's what you post-apoc folks probably prefer, but saying that this was a small factory creating high munitions grade lubricant, that became a target by some faction to be exploded, which it has been - not much treasure left here. I could say this is another alley ways map, or at least it was. Unlike the other maps, this was entirely created in 3D. I actually tried three different ways to do this one, and none satisfied me enough until this one... Now give me a day or so to make this into a product to release at DrivethruRPG... enjoy!

Xara was used to create layers, create the grid, cut the walls and structures from the map, and move up to layers - then making this into a PDF product.

GP

Name:	streets-rubble.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	128530

Next project, first main map done... this is a Biker Gang Clubhouse/Compound map, and I plan to create a few more 22 x 34 inch maps for some of the outbuildings and a few vehicles I have yet to create in 3D. What you see is the main biker clubhouse. At top left is the biker quarters in military style rooms: bed, wall locker and a desk. To the far top right is the latrine: showers, toilets and sinks. Below the quarters are a line of motorcycles - mind you it's an eclectic mix of road chopper, military bike and two hover bikes in different colors, but it works. To the right of those is the gang leader's office, and the leadership conference room. Below that is the clubhouse bar with pool tables and fully stocked bar. To the right of the bar, outside is a concrete pad with picnic tables and a grill. Below that is a commercial kitchen. Below that is backroom and loading dock for the kitchen with a large refrigeration unit, furnace, water heater and softener. Bar bathrooms are in the hall to the left of that. To the bottom left is a 5 bay commercial garage with a combat car and bikes getting worked on. To the right of that is the main warehouse. Next onto the outbuildings and other vehicles... enjoy!

Name:	biker-compound-low-res.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	128549

Been a while since I've posted to this thread, as I've been largely creating 3D content for the last several years. Because this binary star system map was entirely created in Xara Designer Pro x11, I thought I'd post it here...

The Gemini binary star system of Colonial Space is comprised of Caster, an orange dwarf (type K) star and Pollux, a red dwarf (type M) star, 3.5 billion years old, of silicate composition. Both stars feature intact inner orbiting planets, 4 and 3 respectively, but the 3 of the outer orbiting worlds in the shared space have collided destroying 2 large rocky worlds and a gas giant creating what it called the Scarlet Belt, though the illuminated gases will dissipate over the next millennia or so.

New Dublin the third planet orbiting Caster, if it weren't for the sky elevator reaching to the largest orbiting shipyard in Colonial Space overhead, by all surface appearances seem to be a Pleistocene world locked in an Ice Age, which it is, but most of it's water is trapped underground in a honeycomb of vast natural cisterns and labyrinthine tunnel systems under the planet's surface. The vast open spaces above the waterline host the unique subterranean, hexagonal tower architecture the world has become known for housing 1.3 trillion humans and a mix of every race across Colonial Space, as an ecumenopolis (planet city) and the most populous colony. The shipyards in high orbit construct the bulk of the Confederation's naval, law enforcement and corporate ships.

I'd post the Planet Builder stat block for this system that I just created for it, except it comprises of 8 planets, 2 belts and 17 moons, so it's a bit of a long stat block. I'm working on a full 7th level horror module involving a rogue moon passing through this system, as my next Starfinder project for publication.

GP

Name:	gemini-system.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	131063

Nice one, GP!