Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Okay, I'm seriously thinking of starting a Patreon, where I'd offer a selection of maps and map objects each month, map and map object tutorials as videos, allowing voting each month for kinds of maps to create for future videos, discounts on various software and texture/object collections, maybe review software and digital tools. Although I have been using Xara Designer Pro, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365, offers all the same drawing tools in Xara, but is only $49, something most of my potential patrons could afford - and get affiliate commissions selling it. Xara just sent me the download code/password for XP&GD for free so I can use it in my tutorials.

I need to get a decent camera setup, and lights, to basically set up a room in my house as my blog space. It won't be for a month or two before I start, but numerous people have asked me to start one, so I know I have a ready audience once I do.

Just a heads on possible new offers I will be having...

So working on a product idea for the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, an adventure site. Essentially a map product of a desert moon, an outpost community of little over a thousand people, mining crystals inside a mountain. A local culture of lizarding riders roam the desert, and one rider is in the foreground of the cover art/design (also done in Xara). Although the other images are 3D renderings done using Vue as a terrain generator, the structure models done in Wings 3D, and the person in Poser 11, lots of post-production work was done using Xara.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kos-veruk-cover-rough.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	123229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kos-veruk-final-map.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	123230

Michael,

Wanted to know a little bit more about your process you are now using. When you use these other modelers and make an object, how are you bringing it into Xara? Are you turning them into BMP files or something else?

Ray

I'm often working with transparent PNG files, which I import to Xara, to do post production, or cut maps from.

The image on the left is a top down render of a 3D object of the residential pod platform (except for the square grid I placed on top in Xara, for miniatures scaling purposes). The image on the right, I cut out the rooms and corridors right from the single rendered 3D image. I then use the same room cut-outs onto a separate rectangle, in order to apply the Xara 1 way 3D extrusion, and place under the cut out top image. Then I create a drop shadow, and place objects, furniture, etc, also created in Xara into each room.

In the map on the previous post, see the "road/parking lot" inside the walls and going out the gate. I started with a 36 point line, used the color picker to choose the color of the mountain behind it, then drew the placement for the roads (18 point line for those narrower roads between the residential pods). Then convert lines to shape, apply a slight edge feather, apply a merge layers transparency, then move the transparency slider to about 23 percent, so it's isn't too strong. I applied the colors on the other objects by drawing shapes, give it a color fill (like green on the drop pod model), give it a merge layers transparency, then fractal transparency with sharp transitions to give that worn paint look...

Name:	pod-small.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	123231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pod-interior-small.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	123232

Hi Michael.
    ... apply a merge layers transparency
    What's a merge layers transparency?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry, multiply (stain glass), it's what I call it I guess...

I'm currently working on the mine/industrial operation through those doors coming out of the base of the mountain, which also access those structures on top of the mountain mesa. I'll post that when I'm done.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification Michael. You had me searching around xara for an unknown type of transparency
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The mine level, under the mountain, at Kos Veruk mining outpost, on the moon, Anwarra, of Caspara III. Crystals sought be solarians and technomancer are mined and processed here.

I used the same techniques as I did for the interiors of the residential pod platforms, on the previous posts.

Name:	kos-veruk=tg.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	123239

Okay, not a map, but a 3D illustation, that needed more color in some places, color at all in others, due using some 3D software with an inefficient texture tool. So I finish the illustration, using Xara shapes drawn, color or fractal color mix, then multiply (stain-glass) transparency applied. The steam off the pot on the stove is a white drawn steam cloud, given a 3 point feather, and fractal transparency from 100% transparent to 30% transparent. Now this is good enough for the next product cover design. Before on the left, After on the right.

Michael

Name:	chains-coverart-bare.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	123306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chains-coverart.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	123307

Michael,

It sure seems like a lot of work. If I am following your work flow correctly, you are basically having to redraw various objects twice in order to get the shading and color for various textures in two different programs.

Wouldn't a different 3D system give you the ability to do the shading your want? I know nothing about 3D software so I can not really say with certainty what to even use. Maybe one of our other users could over a suggestion. I would think if you could get everything in one program, you would also speed up the turn around time.

Thanks for posting this because l am always interested in how others approach doing projects. You have come a long way from when you use to just make maps for the Cartographers Guild.

Ray