Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Its confirmed now, at least 3 of my maps will be featured as part of the Cartographers' Guild Art Show in New York City, being hosted by Soho Gallery of Digital Art - http://www.sohodigart.com

And the dates for the art show will be: July 16 - 29, 2010.

I'm excited!

GP

Congratulations GP!
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Super, GP. Way to go!

I am working on an Iron Age Celtic roleplaying game setting, intended for publication next year, and although I don't yet a map, doing one might bring some inspiration. I have plans on making an entire Western European analog for the setting, as in Celtiberic, Gallic, Brythonic, Pictish and Gaelic - not just Ireland. But so far I only created a map for my Ireland analog, I twist the historic name a bit calling it, the Isle of Hybreni (instead of Hibernia.)

This is my hand-drawn, Xara coloring and bevels hybrid map style - enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hybrenia-new-thumb.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	74128  

The above map is currently intended as an inset, as part of a larger close-up map/illustration. It is a contest entry map for July's mapping challenge at the Cartographers' Guild. Since I was working on the map above anyway for my setting, I thought I'd incorporate it, as in inset, into this month's challenge.

Though the inset is a topdown view, my main map will be an isometric - 3Dish map to show a stone circle and surrounding support structures for a Celtic theme, as described in the previous post. This contest map only uses the setting as backstory - the challenge is to create a Locus of Ley Lines into a power source map for fantasy setting... this is what I'm doing.

OK, trying something different (I'm always experimenting)...

The base image is created in 3D, modeled in Nendo, then imported to Raydream (old simple 3D app), I don't texture it, except the stones in the menhir circle. I import the rendered image to Photoshop, adjust the contrast severely, enlarge to 11 x 17, then print to my laser printer. I cut a sheet of tracing paper to fit the 11 x 17, tape off one side, then trace the edges of the terrain and menhir stones, ink in with a pen, the stone carvings, shading lines, detritus detail - then scan it into PS, import to Xara.

I import the 3D image and the hand-drawing. Both get a stain-glass transparency filter, though I copy the 3D image, I cut it out with a pen tool then Combine/Intersect, remove the bitmap texture and replace with solid fill, make it white and place behind, then group the solid fill and the semi transparent 3D image bitmap. I create shapes of the tops of the hill in Xara, outline to 0 pixels, give it a soft green fill, apply a Color/Fractal Clouds, and change the white to a light tannish color, apply a stained glass transparency.

So this is a composite 3D image, hand-drawn tracing, and color filled in Xara - a true multi-media illustration. I think it works well - I need to be fast, to get lots of work done in a short amount of time (that's how I do anything.) So I don't dabble as some artists, I'm on a production schedule.

Thoughts?

GP

Name:	menhir-thumb.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	74162  

Looking good. Just a thought, but how about making the surrounding levels a "Cretan" Maze pattern?
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Well, in a sense, they are.....a-maze-ing....sorry John, couldn't resist.....

Very nice GP.....
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I'll forgive you Ed

Thanks, guys!

I didn't want to add walls, as I was trying to make the main map very stark, more fitting a realistic henge on the plains type structure. It looks like something you might see on a Celtic isle somewhere.

I had fun with this one.

GP

Name:	menhir-dance-thumb.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	74232  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12 July 2010 at 05:51 AM.

Its been a long while since I posted, sorry about that. Its not that I haven't been designing new maps, its that I am currently working on my own RPG publication project serving as concept creator, designer, developer, cartographer, part-time illustrator, art director, and technical advisor. So much of the work is 'top secret'. The publication should be released sometime early February, with two more products to follow then a hardbound print compilation in the summer - so I've been really busy!

I may not have mentioned it earlier, I'm designing a roleplaying game setting and set of 3 adventuers for Pathfinder RPG, inspired by feudal Japan crosssed with Asian horror. Once published I will post some of the new maps at that time. The product is Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story. Some of my posted maps are for the setting.

Its kind of job security. Instead of waiting between cartography commissions, I become the publisher and demand large amounts of quality maps - really offering more maps than what competitors can afford. So its a win-win situation.

The first adventure has been finished writing as of today, and it going to editing next, it should release sometime in the next two weeks...

Anyway, just a post to note, I'm not dead, or have forgotten TalkGraphics, just buried in my own project for a bit longer.

Michael Tumey