Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

I'll hold off posting the large versions with links until I complete this project. Still working on the Neptune Station, undersea science dome complex.

I have created a university level on the second floor above the community level of the main habitat dome. This is for extension courses from various world universities for graduate courses in oceanographic and marine biological studies - 4 large tiered classrooms, a laboratory, offices for faculty, administration at center, large bathrooms on top left, balcony overlooking the dining area of the community level.

The level just beneath the main community level with access via the floor elevator on the south end of the main dome, is the warehousing and maintenance bay level. Garbage/trash bin from chutes throughout complex lead here to trash compactor. Also 2 escape pods are on either flank of this level. Each has a 10 person capacity with supplies for 7 days, is jettisoned from complex with buoyancy floats to surface with beacon, and can serve as a 7 day lifeboat.

Next I'm working on the habitat levels (3 or more) each with its own rec center serving a different entertainment venue (playground, movie lounge, disco niteclub, etc.)

After this I'll create the industrial operations level that contains a nuclear powerplant, desalination system, air and water filtration, heating/air conditioning, sewage treatment and more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maintenance-warehouse01-sm.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	107078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neptune-station-main-2nd-sm.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	107079

My 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials Guide offering simple step-by-step instructions for creating your own custom, photo-realistic maps is now available for sale to the public. Although this entire guide was creating using Xara Designer Pro, the techniques offerred is usable in Xara software, as well as Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP, and Inkscape. The guide book is 197 pages long, full color with sample maps following each tutorial.

Congratulations, Michael! Unfortunately, the preview is too short to get an idea of what you created but knowing your artwork, it must be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Congratulations, Michael! Unfortunately, the preview is too short to get an idea of what you created but knowing your artwork, it must be pretty good.
    Well many (most) of the maps posted across this thread are either samples included, or part of an actual tutorial to create those specific maps.

Wish you every sucess with it Michael. You definitely have a great talent in this area
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    There's no way around the short preview, but I did change the settings so that the first page shown (and subsequent pages) feature the first tutorial, rather than the start of the book, which should be more enticing than it was.

Yes, the current preview is much more informative.

Since I haven't participated in a Cartographers' Guild Map Challenge in an age, I decided to this month with the theme - Create a Race Track of some kind. So I opted to create a post-apocalyptic, motorcross track, I call "Mad Max Moto Cross". Think combat motorcycles with armed riders following a track while ballista platforms occassionally shoot at them, while negotiating hazards, like toxic water hazard, ruined buildings and more. I don't do too many post-apocalyptic maps, so this scratches that itch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mad-max-moto-cross-final-thumb.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	109041  

Well, believe or not, not only was this map created in a very short time, but instead of waiting for voting results, I have made this into a PDF product and it is now available for sale at DTRPG. The product is 47 pages long with cover, title page, and a single page gazetteer, followed by 35 pages of sliced letter size sheets with square grid ready to print, 4 each 24 inch square tiles with grid ready to print, 4 each 24 inch square tiles (no grid) ready for virtual tabletop use, and a full 48 inch square map (no grid) ready for virtual tabletop use for $2.99 on my Gamer Printshop page.

Check it out here!

Michael,

What type of file do you proved for the virtual tabletop? Do you have to do anything special for the tabletop use?

Having never seen a game played on virtual tabletop, I have seen picture which shows a large screen that the players can see. I think I read some where that the software that operates the screen can provide fog of war for the maps. does this affect how you do your maps at all?

Ray