Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Congradulations Michael, You've earned it!
    Tom - Hwy101

I will post more stuff as I can, however, I have signed an NDA with Paizo Publishing, so I cannot say more about it, nor post any content here regarding it. Needless to say, I've got the freelance gig started - this should be fun!

Michael

OK, I can't show much (NDA and all), but here's a brief glimpse at the huge capital city map I am working on (kind of fantasy Tokyo). By looking at the details in this map, believe it or not, I have enough structures for the total map to support an urban population of 100,000 people (and this sample piece is less than 1/8th of the total map). The straight channels on the map are canals, the bottom end is a river bank near its mouth - the ocean is to the left side off map. In a way, this is a masterpiece for me as far as city maps go. I've never made a city map this detailed with so many structures. I have 2 days of drawing in this, with at least one more to go to create the Imperial districts, castle, palace, ministries, samurai district and several temple compounds.

Just a sneak peak!

Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kasai-sample.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	83037

Well the managing editor at Paizo finally looked at the map I emailed him... he even used all caps and expletives to comment on how pleased he is with this so far. I'm glad.

Michael

There's a map on post# 15 of this thread that shows a snowy valley concerning some raids by orcs. I created that in December of 2009 as part of a monthly map design contest at the Cartographers' Guild. What you don't know is having created that map, I created a 15 page mockery of a childrens book, by creating a 'tongue in cheek' illustrated poem that feature orcs as the heroes in their once per decade or so raid of the settled lands of the valley near their home. (A switcheroo of the settled people being the heroes of the story and orcs as the monsters.) The map and poem was called "Twelve Nights of Yuleblood" - a humorous poke at Christmas children's tales.

Early yesterday morning after an all-nighter playing games, I visited a website before I went to bed and noticed that map (I'd posted on another site), the thought came to me, "Wow, that would make for an interesting game product to be marketed for Christmas..."

Here's a link to that cheeky poem, so you can get the gist of what the product would be about... Twelve Nights of Yuleblood.

So I sent an email to my writer/designer, Jonathan McAnulty of my Kaidan project and asked if he'd be interested in writing a player race book (20 pages like my In the Company of Kappa and Tengu books for race background, traits, new classes, feats, etc.) for orcs. And include a full level adventure using my cheeky poem as the basis of that adventure (for a split on profits to pay for his quality.) Also I contacted someone I know, Dawn Fischer, to be the editor of the project. Both said, yes!

So hopefully by Christmas season this year, I'll have another publication released - but this time as me being the publisher alone, based on one of my past maps.

I think its cool, due to late night product inspiration, the sending of a few inquiries and in a few hours organized the existence of the next product idea - and a fun one at that. That will be another project coming soon! I'll post some new content, as it becomes available.

Michael
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 25 July 2011 at 09:28 AM.

Almost a month since I posted last, been real busy.

I decided to enter this month's mapping challenge at the Cartographers' Guild, as I hadn't done that in quite a while. The theme for the contest was create a Mountain map.

Keeping with my Japanese works, I decided to create a Tengu village - a tengu being a flightless avian humanoid race of yokai from Japanese folklore. They figure prominently in my Kaidan setting.

Michael

Name:	akayama-hi-res-thumb-bog.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	83744

Haven't posted in a while, been real busy. Anyway, we're giving away a free adventure download for a Halloween promotion. So that means I need cover art that I don't have to pay for - so this is a complete vector created design (not my usual hand-drawn style, more Xara painted style, all vector). While it may not be the best work, it's good enough for the price

I used three photos for reference: a snowy mountain valley, a Buddhist temple and a samurai from the rear (I put the conical hat on myself, as guy in photo had bare head).

Enjoy!

Michael

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-final.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	84530

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That's very nicely done Michael, thanks for sharing it with us!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    That's very nicely done Michael, thanks for sharing it with us!
    Thank you. And speaking of "Angel Eyes", I made a slight tweak - darkened the image and placed the eyes of the Yuki-onna (snow woman), the primary villain of the story. Just trying to make the cover design a bit more scary - this is for Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting...

Michael

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-final-1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	84535
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08 October 2011 at 02:20 AM.

I realized that the illustration didn't depict the title of the publication - there is no visible wind, so I am doing a couple things.

1. I added in the falling and blowing snow, as well as the 'misted' snow showing the path of the wind spiral driving toward the temple.

2. The samurai is missing, as I plan to redo him, in a struggling position knee deep in snow, with his hat blowing away just out of reach of his hand, the other hand will hold a walking staff to steady is pace. The loose strips of cloth and the tassels should be blowing in the wind direction as well.

Oh, the eyes on the previous version was an actual photo with bleach transparency and feathering, but I decided it wasn't consistent with the rest of the illustration. So I created vector shapes for it - it matches now, and look more menacing.

I think the snow did a lot for the image, as well as the spiralling wind.

I will do the samurai tomorrow and get this illustration ready. I still have to do some corrections to the adventure text, then do page layout - getting this ready for release.

Michael

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-new-thumb.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	84544