Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Next Sci-Fi/Modern/Cyberpunk interior map is the typical vehicle repair garage with a small customer counter and office, a tool room and the rest room at top. In the garage area there's an engine stand, air tanks and hoses, a hydraulic lift, tool boxes and some tires... enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repair-garage.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	125465

As always awesome GP. Just two comments:

Tyre marks on flooring are not parallel ?
    Highlights on the 'wheel jacks' are not consistent.

Tools in the tool boxes are great!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Haven't posted to this thread for a while, though somewhat because a large percent of my recent maps were largely created using 3D software, with Xara use only in it's grids and labeling and little else. This was a commission map for a private individual, someone I've created a half dozen maps for, over the past 5 years - so somewhat of a regular customer. This is a regional map, that the person ordering the map will do all the labeling as he builds his world for his tabletop roleplaying games. An ancient meteor strike created a crater amid a river system, now seven rivers flow in and the western river flows out to the sea. A permanent arcane storm sits over the center of crater lake. This was entirely created in Xara Designer Pro x11, though could have been created using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365, as well. Extensive use of bevels to create the terrain elevations... enjoy!

Name:	storm-crater-lake.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	128179

Just created a small town map of 1200, located on the southeast area of the previously posted crater lake map where the meandering river empties into the lake. This town features a wooden palisade, which is really just an 8 point line converted to a shape, given a repeating wood texture, a flat bevel and a drop shadow. The ships in the port were created in Xara for a ship deck commission a couple years ago - I often scrap old map content to fit new ones to cut down on the amount of work I need to do. Enjoy!

Name:	silverlake.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	128223

Hey Michael,

You probably make use of more textures in on map than most people every use in their projects. What did you use in the water for the texture?

Ray

Good question. In this case there are 3 transparent layers of blue (about 40% transparency applied) and in sky blue, royal blue, and a photo of water in a pool with a repeating texture applied, all stacked on top of each other. You're probably right - I use tons of layers of textures with varying amounts of transparency applied. Attached are all the textures used in this map. Way more textures than what normal people use Xara for...

Name:	map-textures.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	128234
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03 November 2020 at 07:07 PM.

Next map for the private commission, a village on the lake - the Crater Lake, and just as the town map, a wooden palisade surrounds out to keep the river pirates out. This one, just on whim was completely created in 3D. Modeled in Wings 3D. Rendered and textured in Vue Creator. Though I did some post-process texturing using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365 ($49), my favorite vector drawing program I use for most of my maps... enjoy!

For the Xara part of this map. The texturing on the roofs, the wooden piers, porches and walkway on the palisade, the road, and a layer on the water, are all textured vector shapes created in Xara, given stain-glass transparency to show the appropriating shadow values in the textures.

Name:	village.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	128246

Your use of Xara to create these maps is always interesting to follow. Keep them coming.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I won't be stopping any time soon - it's what I do.

Thanks, Egg.

I agree, Egg. I also find it interesting to follow their creation with Xara (and 3D apps) and have been checking out Gameprinter's renderings for as long as he has been posting them.

But I wonder how these maps are used in real life. I googled for videos and photographs of actual gaming situations but came up empty handed. Michael, do you have any links, so we can get an idea how these maps are used?