Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Anyway, who knows what a modern city would look like after having been abandoned decades earlier? I'm sure the players get the gist of a dystopian future.

There are places in the world to get a hint. Many essentially abandoned areas of Detroit look post apocalyptic. There's an island that was a coal mine town in Japan that closed 50 years ago, and you can take tours there, and the entire town looks much like my street maps - plants taking over the streets, buildings and more. My maps are from my imagination of course, but what shows up has certainly been inspired by the post-apocalyptic glimpses I've seen live or in photographs.

Intrestingly I also found your render as being to 'clean'. Looked at Chernobyl videos and in that paticular region it was quite interesting to see how the trees have taken over the area. Of course this won't always be the case. I think where I live it would be Brambles first. Also there would be a lot of Buddleia which is the bain of UK rail networks, which would soon encroach on brickwork, vertical as well. Also make the roofing that would mainly remain in tact but with a rougher texture, as well as 'wet patches' and a few weeds/cracks.

Not a criticism, I couldn't produce maps as you do, just an observation
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And then there are the movies too that explore such dire situations.

In truth, I'm not trying to do entire buildings. The buildings are just fill for the corners, as the emphasis of these maps is the streets themselves. I figure that most post-apocalypse maps are of rundown, falling apart buildngs of various types with maybe a street or alley along one side. There are no maps sets of just streets, where most gun fights, car chases and the like will occur - so I thought there needed to be a map product of just post-apocalypse city streets, and that's all there is. I will be doing 7 more maps of this, and perhaps I'll get more destructive with the partial building interiors. This will be a general use Post Apocalypse product good for many post-apocalypse games (Gamma World, Aftermath, etc.), as well as cyberpunk games, in the abandoned areas in some of their cities (Cyberpunk Red, Cyberpunk 2185, and similar games). Also could fit sci-fi games, where an abandoned city might be found. I find it strange a set of maps of just streets, since I usually do buildngs, but this is needed - so I'm making it...

Michael, I'm sure you know how to render these scenes for use in these types of games. I'm a total layman in this field and just made an innocent observation.

Thanks, Boy and Egg!

Alright, third street map of the Abandoned Streets map set for sci-fi/cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic games. This one I placed a bomb crater, having done several craters and getting better at it. I made sure that the ground around the crater edge was pushed up. Also placed my Myrmidon Battle Tank as the vehicle in this map. Now while the crater itself is 3D, the asphalt around the crater were cut, given one-way 3D extrusion in Xara, and rotated to point towards the crater. I have an alley entrance way, and that's about it for this map. Next the bridge maps... enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	street-bomb-crater.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	128451

Micheal,

You need to throw in a couple over turned cars in these abandoned streets. Especially with the bomb craters.

I know easier said than done or in your case drawn.

Ray

RKissane, I'd do that in 3D as the best way to draw something other than a topdown car - so note the green and rusy car on it's side to the left of the crater against the wall on the sidewalk. It fits, and I don't need multiple upsidedown cars - one will do fine...

GP

Name:	street-bomb-crater.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	128455

I was going to do a couple maps for a bridge across a canal, but that seems a waste, so here's just a single map to represent a "tile" of a bridge. This one has several abandoned vehicles, as well as a section of the bridge road has collapsed into the water below. This map was entirely created in 3D; modeled in Wings 3D, and textured and rendered in Vue Creator. But the road textures, sprawling weeds, as in the other maps were created using Xara Designer Pro, a vector drawing program. I also cut out the places in the bridge that fell out, as vector subtractions, square bevel, and rusty girders placed below the hole. Since the water was rendered in 3D, when I cut out the hole, I cut a hole all the way through the image, so had to create water behind to match the water in the river...enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-bridge.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	128456