Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Default Re: In the Company of Kappa - cover design

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    If her right arm seems disjointed, its still works, she's a ghost so she not all there...
    Reminds me of my ex-mother-in-law.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Looks really good. I would get rid of the right arm altogether, though (as if her arm is lowered and out of frame).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    Looks really good. I would get rid of the right arm altogether, though (as if her arm is lowered and out of frame).

-- Ben
    The thought occurred to me, and I may yet change it - the release of this publication is at least 2 weeks away, and I do the page layout, so I have time to make the change if necessary. I'm awaiting any potential complaints by my co-publisher and the patrons involved in my patronage project. I liked having her arm reaching out to the viewer, but it is a bit high for the pose.

GP

hand looks a bit disassociated in the thumbnail - but looks fine full size where you can see the sleeve properly

'whipped up' is a bit unfair I think, unless there is a metaphysical reference, it being a ghost... - I really like it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've been struggling over the last few days trying to come up with an illustration of a Yakuza Kyodai (big brother) for my adventure, and as an additional illustration for my upcoming Yakuza of Kaidan book (I say book, more like a 30 page PDF).

Part of the problem is trying to show the yakuza horimono (full body) tattoo in an appropriate and effective way.

I finally came up with a design I could tolerate, something akin to my Yojimbo illustration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyodai.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	79986

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

Here's the main map for the scond adventure, The Curse of the Golden Spear: Part 2 - Dim Spirit for Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting (Pathfinder RPG).

This is a map of eastern Yonshu Island, the province of Oniba. Notice the concentric circles based on the castletown of Tsue-jo. The Gift (name of the 1st adventure) is a cursed magic item being delivered to Lord Hachiwara of Tsue-jo. However since the adventurers were carrying the Golden Spear, the curse now affects them - they lose Constitution score based on proximity and distance from the spear head itself. The further they travel away, the more serious their dilema becomes. They aren't aware of the curse, just that something is affecting their health. Once they reach the village of Kitsumura (middle left side of map) they are told of the problem and how to cure it - which is the basis on the third and final adventure (they have to steal it back and destroy it.)

This of course is hand-drawn, digitally scanned then composited, colored and beveled, with lines and labels added last in Xara Xtreme Pro 4.

Enjoy!

Name:	yonshu-east.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	80009

Oh, and normally I prefer to create 'top down' mountains, rather than a 'perspective view', but the adventurers (player characters) won't be going into the mountains for adventure 2 - their health suffering couldn't take it, so I opted to create Hiroshige styled mountains to add a more distinctive Japanese flavor to the overall map, which otherwise just a terrain map.(Hiroshige was a Ukiyo-e print landscape artist, taught by Hokusai.)

Note the yellow area next to the forest at bottom center is a marshland. Its on the larger map, so I had to include it.

I probably have this map further upthread, or at least one of the text links in the first post, but I'll post a thumbnail here, so you can be directed to how the above map represents a section of the larger map.

Name:	yonshu-thumb.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	80015

And a link to the larger version on my site: Yonshu Island, Kaidan

Next map: the Spring Shrine serving a local water kami spirit that dwells within a cave, the source of the spring which feeds a creek. The local henge (animal shapechanger) village of Kitsumura worships at this spring shrine. An ushi-onni or bull demon has infiltrated into the shrine leaving a toxic stone as a demented offering in hopes to drive the kami spirit mad by poisoning its sacred waters and to wreak havoc onto the local village downstream.

The adventurers are asked to cleanse the shrine of the evil being and save their faith, or the henge won't help the PCs with their curse.

Hand-drawn, scanned, then beveled shapes, drop shadows, shading, grid and labels composited in Xara Xtreme Pro 4.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	spring-shrine-map-thumb.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	80052

Link to larger version: Spring Shrine Map

I just love those maps

Keep 'em coming!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Appreciated, BG!

This too is an older map for the first adventure: The Gift (Kaidan), but it shows my top-down mountains I generally use in my maps. This is Daitengu Pass, as it crosses the central highlands of Yonshu Island (the same mountains seen in perspective view on that Eastern Yonshu map above.)

Link to larger version: Daitengu Pass

Name:	daitengu-pass.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	80067