Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

I'm learning Blender, which is a very complex 3D program, but not even close to comprehension, I have projects with immediate deadlines, so using Xara as a work-around. While I can agree, that doing it right in the program would be less work, but rendering an image takes hours to do. So either I do this by hand, or I do nothing waiting for the program to run it's render. It works for me!

Thanks, RKissane!

Working on the holy city of Mystics, Shauda Ekaan, which is also located on the same moon Kos Veruk is located. Created the illustrated in Vue, as well as a top down. The buildings, streets, pavement all placed in Xara. Will be doing the mountain interior portion of the city next, also done in Xara...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shauda Verukaan.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	123337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shauda-ekaan-map-draft1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	123338

Here are some maps I created over a year ago, but haven't posted here. Another planned product, that needs a few more inclusions, but I was creating maps for a forgotten places in a medievil city set - canal feeder under the bridge, under the wharf, and along the old back canal with a hermits camp at an entrance to the sewers, are just 3 of 6 I have so far. Places that smugglers and rogues might meet, but places residents avoid, as a collection of maps in that theme.

Using XDP, though XP&GD could do this just fine. Layers of beveled shapes using photo-texture fills, drop shadows, stacks of varying transparency in the water.

Name:	under-the-bridge.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	123424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under-the-wharf.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	123425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	urban-druids-lair.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	123426

Okay, working on commission maps for Legendary Games, for finalizing their Legendary Planet Kickstarter Project (funded long ago). While I've been working with 3D quite a lot lately, and have always used some 3D elements in previous maps, I still thought I'd be mostly doing 2D maps, but not the case, so these maps include both Xara vector graphics and 3D elements created in Wings 3D and rendered in Vue Creator.

The one with the giant skeleton sticking out of the ground is almost entirely done in 3D, only the beveled rock at the bottom of the map, the grid, the number labels and title are Xara work.
    The one with lavendar/pinks is kind of "stargate" system via that pink star shaped platform. The giant monster statues surrounding that are 3D, as well as the exterior asteroid terrain, and space peeking on the far right. The rest of the complex is all Xara bevel work, using photo-real textures and drop shadows - including the pink glows, which are glow shadows, given a lavendar coloring.
    The one with parchment background is a cathedral structure called The Daughter's Fane, it's worshippers are telepaths, and telepathically speak with the priests via those pits in the center with semi-circular seating and a large crystal at center. As for 3D, only the crystals in those pits, and at the top of the map, that green pyramid with the gold circle on top, and the pair of crystal golems flanking the approach to that pyramid were all done in 3D (it's just easier to some complex shapes in 3D versus any other way). Everything else is Xara work.

Name:	skeleton-map1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	123854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scarab-relay.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	123855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daughters-fane-map-edit1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	123856

On a side note, Paizo Publishing, the creators of Starfinder, Pathfinder, plus card and board games, the publisher that creates the main games, that I support as a third party publisher, is hiring me freelance to create some map tile sets in the near future!

Working on another set of commission maps for Legendary Games Aegis of Empire adventure path (for Pathfinder and D&D). This is a medieval fantasy setting/adventure. I'm doing regional maps and encounter scale maps...

Name:	marches.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	124708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prize-pit-large.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	124709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azmeriuss-adit.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	124710

First of the next 8 maps for Legendary Games Ages of Empires AP. This is the ground floor and grounds of the Asterian Abbey, located in the mountains above the treeline, where summer snows don't melt. The next maps feature two upper floor each of this abbey for a total of 5 floors, then 5 locations nearby the abbey to follow... enjoy!

Name:	asterian-abbey-ground.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	124961

I mentioned in my 3D illustrations thread in the Off Topic Chat Forum, that I'm currently working on what I'm calling the Hostile Terrains Map Set. Some of the maps are being done in 3D, hence why I mention the other thread, but this map was completely created in Xara, well everything except the lava geyser in the top right corner, which is the same model I used to create a hot springs geyser on a recent map commission. I re-textured the geyser using lava. I'm currently rendering a 3D top down of a glacial crevasse in 3D, but the rest of that map will be done in Xara as well... enjoy!

GP

Name:	hostile-terrain01-small.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	125166

Pretty amazing!

Thanks, Boy!

Next is opposite in the temperature zone - this is a glacier and crevasse. The crevasse was done in 3D, the rest is done in Xara.

Enjoy!

Name:	glacial-crevasse-small.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	125174

Working on some interior maps of locations using both Xara Designer Pro x11, and 3D programs - Wings 3D and Vue Creator. These are Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk Urban locations. The first one is a Ramen Shop, a staple of many sci-fi/cyberpunk settings, along with a closeup of the ramen table setting. And a chop shop, not for stolen cars, rather for illegal, unlicensed cybernetic implant surgical clinic... enjoy!

Name:	ramen-all.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	125460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ramen-shop.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	125459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ripper-shop.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	125461