Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Publish to web is timing out

Other than Xara, I can't find any other application has that page open. I checked the permissions and it is the same for index 2 as it is for index. Everything looks to be allowed.

Bonnie something is preventing access to the file. What that may be I cannot determine. Someone, either you or a computer support tech with physical access to your machine will have to determine where you go from here.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I am not trying to step on anybodies toes here so please dont take it the wrong way, you have been given some excellent help so far but I dont think it would not be "complete" unless you try to upload this using a standalone ftp programme.

Bill has provided members here with some great help regarding the Xara in built ftp but to be "thorough" I think you should go and download a free one such as FileZilla do a quick Google for it and then try again, this could well be yet another xara ftp wobbly and if so the only way we are going to know for sure is to try an alternative.

Fact of the matter is if you do a simple search on this forum lots and lots and lots of people have had various issues with the built in ftp and some of the time they can be resolved and other times the best way is to use a standalone after all it is a web editor primarily not an ftp programme, I stand by what I have always said and that is for me the FTP part always was an after thought and not a very good one at that.

I hoep nobody minds me chiming in here its just my opinion and to be honest seems like the next logical step.

best wishes

Chris

Chris I agree with Bonnie trying to use a stand alone FTP program to see if that will work.

However, I do not agree with your evaluation of the FTP issue posted by many people. The issue is not within the FTP module of Web Designer or Xtreme. Most issues are people not providing a subdirectory, an incorrect subdirectory, incorrect password, or their provider requires Active rather than Passive FTP mode.

I mention this solely to make it known that the FTP model is not as 'wobbly' as some people seem to think.

Many of the posts that have been made regarding the creation of web pages, "how do I", and ftp problems are signs that many do not understand many of the simple things about how the web works, how windows works (in regards to folders, files, etc.) and assume an inexpensive program should actually do all the thinking.

I'm not saying this to offend anyone, it is because anyone should have a basic knowledge about anything they undertake to do. What was once common knowledge among computer users seems to have been lost over the past 20 years or so (primarily because of Windows and Mac trying to make things seem no longer required). Many people that think they are computer literate or even an expert lack knowledge of the basics.

It would be a great benefit to all if everyone was required to prove proficiency with the command prompt level before they are allow to purchase a computer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    It would be a great benefit to all if everyone was required to prove proficiency with the command prompt level before they are allow to purchase a computer.
    You might be being a bit harsh on people with this one. I agree that people don't know how to use the command prompt for troubleshooting or the line command to find out info they can't find with a GUI. However, who really uses that today? I would say those that grew up with a true command prompt and were in the computer field as PC support of some kind. The command prompt isn't even a true one anymore....it's so tied into Windows as to render much of past troubleshooting useless.

Also, PCs are sold to people on the idea it will make life easier for them. It's a bit of a false statement in that first there can be a steep learning curve just to use the beast (at least to use it properly).

The great thing about this forum is that there is help for those that can't figure out how to use ftp (for instance) but at the same time it can be frustrating answering the same question over and over.

It think it's just people start into things and just don't know what they need to know until they get 1/2 way into them....even myself....I had no idea how complex it could get with Xara but I'm grateful for the learning that has been provided here and it's helped me see some things I would never have seen in my life (being almost 60 I figure I'd croak before I could learn them).

Anyway, you've been a great support to all that ask and the mods do an awesome job. You and they have all reduced my frustration level a great deal with your very timely and astute answers and I thank all of you for that.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Hi Ed,

You are right, I was being rather harsh. And less tongue in cheek than I intended.

It does tend to get to anyone after the same questions are repeated hundreds or in some cases thousands of times.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I actually DID try to use FileZilla as well as SmartFTP and both of them gave me the same "Access Denied" message. I have no idea why this would be, and why it would upload page 1 but nothing past that. I'm not sure where to turn now other than to completely redo the entire site with Front page. After hours working on this site I would rather not do that but it seems like that is my only option at this point.

Hi Bonnie

That's great so the standalone ftp can be put to bed once and for all with this one

The only thing I can suggest (and my knowledge is no where near some of the members on this forum so fingers crossed somebody else will chime in as well) would be to maybe try and move the whole site so your pages and also the index_htm_files onto a usb drive and then try and upload them from there instead of diretly from your local machine.

My logic in this is if there is something on your local machine denying access to the second page then maybe it wont happen if the upload is coming from a complete other drive.

If you can setup a temporary ftp account on your server by all means post your .web file here and I will try from my end as well it would be handy to rule out a server issue, some hsots (and Im not saying this is true with yours) but some hosts will say everything is the fault of your machine or software when in fact it "could" be a server issue, however if you can upload from front page then its unlikely but still worth dismissing once and for all then as all we are left with is your local machine.

hope that help

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisBro; 26 February 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Ok, so I've had some sort of success! I used the subfolder /httpsdocs rather than /httpdocs and the whole thing supposedly uploaded with no problems! I was elated! HOWEVER when I try to view the page in firefox it still shows the old page and not the new one. When I view it in internet explorer I see the new homepage but when I try to click on the buttons it goes to "page not found".

Here is the website. See what you guys get.

www.awomansview.com

Ok this is what I see in Firefox (see below) the https folder is for content that is behind and SSL certficate, your server doesnt have one so no content will be displayed. The picture below is that the "latest" version of your site?

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	70140