Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Publish to web is timing out

Yes, I did verify that. I also just logged into the domain setup thing via the ip address and it says "frontpage" login. Could it be possible that it only allows you to use frontpage?

Bonnie it does mean that Frontpage access has been setup for the main domain. Fontpage can communicate with the site without the use of the ftp protocol.

If you need ftp access you will need to specify that with the domain administrator. This may or may not be granted depending on the domain's security policies.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It actually says FTP/Frontpage login.

Does that not mean it is good for FTP?

You would need to speak with the admin for the domain to find out for sure.

Some companies limit ftp access and prefer other types of protocols.

At least with the "Access Denied" error you are being assured that the ftp connection was working correctly within your Xara program. Otherwise you would not have gotten any indication of what was happening.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If they do not allow me to use ftp, what other options do i have to get this site published?

Sorry to chime in here Bill is doing a great job in helping you but I provide web hosting to my own clients, ftp access really is a standard feature on most hosting platforms I would not anticipate any problems with your host providing you with this access unless you have somekind of "frontpage" only hosting in which case frontpage went out of dat geeessshhhh what 3 years ago now.

Just get in touch with your host you should not have any issues.

best wishes

Chris

Frontpage 2003 was the last release from Microsoft. There have been some sites advertising Microsoft Expression as Frontpage, however they are very different in my opinion.

About what to do if ftp access is not granted, you can use an application that provides a protocol that is acceptable by the admin. sFTP is an alternative that many domains are supporting because it is more secure than simple FTP. However, this would require you to use a 3rd party application to transfer your files.

The publishing of your site is not limited to the built in ftp feature of your Xara software.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

2003 crikey where does time go I remember getting all excited over expression web lol

Chris

My web site is set up with "Microsoft Extensions" as I use some of them one one part of my site. The way my ISP sets it up I cannot use FTP to get there. I use Microsoft Expression Web to Publish my site. I just export my Xtreme web site to disk then use Expression Web to do the publishing.
    If I did not have the Microsoft Extensions I could go into my ISP account and reset them and the I could use FTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Bonnie it does mean that Frontpage access has been setup for the main domain. Fontpage can communicate with the site without the use of the ftp protocol.

If you need ftp access you will need to specify that with the domain administrator. This may or may not be granted depending on the domain's security policies.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Ok, so I got it to start publishing and it went for a while then it said "access is denied" for index 2 (the second page of the website). So now my home page is uploaded, but all the rest of the pages aren't working because it wouldn't go past uploading the first page.

Help!