Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PSD Import Still Unusable (For Me Anyway)

I remember posting about this on the old forum, back when the import functionality was first changed. That was a long time ago

Basically- I lost my C: drive and, reinstalling everything, thought I'd see what the new Xara Xtreme is like as I'm still using the first version (build 0.0.0.4366 apparently). The *reason* I'm still using the first version is that I need to import photoshop files, and the later versions can't do that properly.

My workflow is simple. I create comics. I create the page in Photoshop, then import it into Xtreme for lettering etc. This means, I simply need to import a PSD file, and it should arrive in Xara as a flat, simple image element. Which the version I use does. But the version after that, it got clever.

I've just downloaded the demo of Xtreme 5 and imported a Photoshop file. My files are big, with many layers. After an age of disk churning, and a curious question of what dpi (why?!), a zillion layers appear. Xtreme has attempted to interpret the file into layers, but it can't. They're broken. The clipping relationships are gone, the layer modes are gone, it's just a big sorry mess. It's useless to me.

There doesn't appear to be an option to change this to the "old" style of just importing the composited, complete file as a simple image. Without that, I can't use these new versions of Xtreme; and I'd like to, to be able to have better text handling and so on. It really can't be that difficult to have an option to use the old method. Unless I'm missing that that can be done, in which case I cannot find this option and I've been all the way through the Options tabbed dialog.

So, again I'm going to install my version 0.0.0.4366 or whatever it is, and wonder why Xara broke what didn't need fixing, and put my credit card away, because it's useless to me to buy something that doesn't work for me.

I like Xara Xtreme and want to give you my money. Please help me to do so.

Default Re: PSD Import Still Unusable (For Me Anyway)

AS it happens, I create comics - specifically comic books and strips

I use photoshop quite a lot

I import frequently into xtreme 5 in PSD format

Is there any reason why you cannot simply create a duplicate in photshop - flatten it - save it separately - and import that into xtreme?

This is what I would do [assuming I have not mis-understood you]

There are layer importing options in xtreme, but they may not do what you want - a PSD flattened in photoshop, is surely the straightforward answer here?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Another option... if you save files in photoshop without option maximize compatibility.... the last dialog after you hit the save buton..... this make exactly this, one composite image just in case....

You have to agree, like adobe are not obliged to understand and use all options of possible file formats, so and others are not obliged to import and suport every one available future in some formats....

This is caled exchange you are obliged to sent and use intermediate file formats which can be used, imported opened etc etc everywhere.... for our sorry *.xar is not from those
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Well, my reason for posting this question is to ask why Xara broke something simple that worked and replaced it with something complicated that doesn't work. PS and Xara files are different things, and PS files, split into layers, don't come into Xara looking like they did in PS, so it seems pointless. Meanwhile, the simple former method of just importing the whole file as an image is gone.

"You have to agree, like adobe are not obliged to understand and use all options of possible file formats, so and others are not obliged to import and suport every one available future in some formats....

This is caled exchange you are obliged to sent and use intermediate file formats which can be used, imported opened etc etc everywhere"

The problem there is that Xara tries to understand PS files, but doesn't offer the simplicity it used to. It would surely be very simple for Xara to code this ability back in. I can't comprehend why they removed it.

I don't do this a lot but I have been able to successfully import and export PSD files with layers into Photoshop CS4.

What version of Photoshop are you using? Maybe you need to update your version of Photoshop at the same time.

Its an improvement.

Being able to import those layers that work is far better than not being able to import any. If you know the program you will soon learn which ones don't.

If you don't even need layers just a flat image, then save/export it that way - how can this be a problem - I really do fail to understand , sorry

oh and welcome, back
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Jaxtraw,

Please post a .ps file which doesn't import with like-for-like preserved layers in Xtreme 5

Layers with FX effects will not export into xara. There is a way around it if you create your layer effect in PS, drop shadow, gradient fill emboss, etc. First create an empty layer above the ' fx layers'.

With no other layers active except the 'fx layers' and the new 'empty layer' which is on the top and active, press ctrl, alt, shift, E at the same time and then you have a new layer filled with the layers effects that will then import into Xara pro.

You need to delete the original fx layers as they are the layers creating your problem....regards taojones

true Tao

that's a good example

I'm confused guys [so nothing new there ]

I thought this thread was about why xtreme does not import flattened PSD, not why some layers do not import

can anyone tell me any program other than photoshop itself that will import all shades of photoshop layers correctly.... ?

Any chance jaxtraw2 you could post up an example like steve [sledger] suggested

There are members, myself included, who still have very old versions of xara - it would be interesting to check this out

I have difficulty seeing how a file xara cannot read in layers properly can be flattened [unless that info is actually in the PSD - and if it was it may no longer be the case of course] - I think it would just fail in the older versions - but I could be wrong, nothing new there either....
    Nothing lasts forever...