Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Something Corrupted

XXP5- Suddenly I cannot create a new web page. When I select "New" I see names of recently opened files. I thought I would go into XAREG but I get an error there - see below. Help! Don't want to uninstall/install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XAREG error.jpg 
Views:	436 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	69790  

Default Re: Something Corrupted

Bill will be able to help with XaReg error messages, but remember that XaReg has no installer or Uninstaller. It is a stand-alone program.
    The error is a .net one, so perhaps a recent Windows update has gone fubar for for some reason?
    A few ways to approach this, eg; reinstall the latest .net framework or jump back to the most recent restore point would be two of them.

Xtreme doesn't use .net as far as I am aware, so the problems you have there seem unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The error is a .net one, so perhaps a recent Windows update has gone fubar for for some reason?
    A few ways to approach this, eg; reinstall the latest .net framework or jump back to the most recent restore point would be two of them.
    Steve - Understood on what XAReg is. I had reached the same conclusion on options. This afternoon I installed Opera with no problems so I had a system restore point. I uninstalled Opera then did a system restore (so no Opera residue was left) and Xara XXP5 is working correctly. .NET error is still there in XAReg so I will have to troubleshoot that.

I'd recommend you remove and then install the most recent .net framwork

What are you doing when the XaReg error occurs ?

I would need the complete text of the details of the error to determine what has happened. The error indicates something is happening with the treeview which is used to list the installed versions of Xtreme and Web Designer. The out of range error could indicate that the registry contains entries for the programs but there is an error in attempting to retrieve some information. This could be due to a corrupt registry.

If you were using the recent file list option it is likely that there is a registry entry for a file but the file does not exist in the location the registry has listed for the file.

BTW there should never be a case where you would need to uninstall and reinstall any version of .NET. The technology is self repairing in the event of corruption.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    What are you doing when the XaReg error occurs ?

I would need the complete text of the details of the error to determine what has happened.

BTW there should never be a case where you would need to uninstall and reinstall any version of .NET. The technology is self repairing in the event of corruption.
    Bill - This morning I have tried to run XaReg from a desktop shortcut. Attached is the details screen of the error. Xara is not open but appears to be running fine since I did a system restore so I conclude there must have been a registry problem?

Thanks for the info on .Net.

Name:	XAREG_error_details.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	69793  

.NET framework corruptions are rare but they do happen from time to time for various reasons, commonly though the reason I mentioned above (windows update gone wobbly).
    There are a number of ways to fix .net installation errors.
    [1] There's a repair option in Add/Remove programes
    [2] There's a manual method as explained in MS KB 306160 'How to repair an existing installation of the .NET Framework'
    [3] A free .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to Uninstall And Fix Corrupted .NET Installs.

Some more info at Aaron Stebner's MSDN Weblog

Steve/Bill - what version of .net does XaReg use? I have multiple versions installed.

Version 2 or newer

I just ran Belarc to check what versions of .Net I have installed. Basically every one I think. I noticed this on the Software Version section of the report. Any ideas as to what this is?

Name:	.Net_Wizards.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	69810