Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy BUG: Xtreme Crashes Caused by MS Outlook

The condition occurs with Xara Xtreme 5.0 Pro open and Outlook 2007 in a corporate (MS Exchange) environment.

At least 2 or 3 types of events will trigger the crash.

1. Working in Xtreme and an email comes in. You click on the notification that pops up (and then slowly fades away if you don't click on it.). Xtreme locks ups and stops working and any unsaved work is lost.

2. Xtreme is open and active. You switch to Outlook, and click on the Accept button for a Calendar Appointment. Same result as above. (Just happened to me!)

3. I think it has happened before but it has been a while. Xtreme is open and active. Switch to Outlook. Reply or create new message. Click the Address Book button. Same result as above.

Very annoying. I'm not aware of any other applications that this happens with, but it has happened enough between Xtreme and Outlook that I know there is some kind of bad mojo between them...

Anyone else seen this behavior???
    Last edited by StevenWWinters; 09 February 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Default Re: BUG: Xtreme Crashes Caused by MS Outlook

I have both programmes running at all times but not the Exchange version and it never does as you describe Steve. I can't see why the exchange version should crash the only real difference is that I use a POP3 account while you don't. Is it the way that Xara connects to the internet that is causing the problem?
    Design is thinking made visual.

I really can't say what is causing the problem other than the behavior I've described. It is definitely some kind of interaction with Outlook, because it is triggered immediately when the actions in Outlook happen. I believe the problem has been there in prior versions of Xtreme, but I don't recall it being other versions of Outlook just now. We have changed corporate antivirus programs in the duration and the problem has continued. It is possible it is some other app, but at this point I am at a loss as to the culprit. I suppose it could be something unique to my configuration. I'm not sure I can make it happen, but I do know it when Xtreme has been active for a while.

Steven I'm not aware of anything in Outlook and Exchange that would cause this problem.

Which version of Microsoft Exchange is running on the email server?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Which version of Microsoft Exchange is running on the email server?
    I don't know and as it is hosted at another location, I don't know how to tell without asking, but I really don't think Exchange, per se, is the issue as it runs on a dedicated server, not the client desktop. I only mentioned it as a point of reference as to my configuration.

We just had Office 2007 installed Monday. I have the latest version of XPro 5.

I have noticed a few funny things going on (no crashes though) but have not kept close attention to them. I believe the following happened a couple times: if I have Xara open and I read an email (after a notication message popsup) that Xara's Object Gallery appears on top of the Outlook screen (the rest of the Xara app does not).

Steven the location of the Exchange server isn't important but the version can be. Outlook can talk to various email servers and the version of the server determines how the communication is performed.

Your IT department's security policies can also effect how the client (Outlook) and the Exchange server communicate.

None of this should effect Xtreme however many variables associated with your computer setup and IT security policies could effect how everything on your system performs.

I would suggest you have your IT department's desktop support technician examine your machine to determine what is causing the issue with Xtreme.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Outlook can talk to various email servers and the version of the server determines how the communication is performed.

I would suggest you have your IT department's desktop support technician examine your machine to determine what is causing the issue with Xtreme.
    Yes, of course there's different code for different protocols. Nonetheless, I used to do desktop support here and I'm quite confident it is not an Exchange issue.

Xtreme is not a "supported app" so I'm on my own. I was just hoping someone here had seen the problem...

This is very odd. It would seem that an Outlook TSR is somehow hooking into Xtreme's memory space.
    Have you contacted Xara Support about this one?