Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Adding a domain name search and/or registration facility?

Hi,

I would like to place a domain name availability search box in my website, can someone help with some suggestions of what (easy to use!) software might be available, free or otherwise, and which would be compatible with Xara? (currently I am using Xtreme 5). I have had a look around the net but have no prior experience in this particular area. I did see one program that looked quite good (at www.mrscripts.co.uk) but I couldn't see how (or if) that would work when integrated with Xara? The owner of those scripts said to me that:

"...the script has to be run on the server which supports PHP (Windows or Linux or Unix). It can be simply embedded into other webpage, but that webpage has to have .php extension so the server knows how to deal with it. Some webservers can also interpret html as php, but this depends how it was configured by server administrators...".

I believe that my (2) web servers use Unix and Linux. However, if I tried to use that script, then I don't know how to create one of my webpages with a .php extension?

Can anyone who knows about such things please let me know, or alternatively, if there are other software around that might be more suitable. Ideally, I would also like to offer registration of at least the commonly used domain names, such as com, org, net, biz etc, and for that facility to run via my website. I don't wish to make money from that service.

Thanks,
    Rikko
    8th Feb 2010

Default Re: Adding a domain name search and/or registration facility?

I have moved this thread to Talk Web > Web Designer / Xtreme forum.

Rikko - please take care where you post.

Hi Rikko,

If you wish to have a .php extention on any file, you can simply rename the extention of that file to .php

The server will read the file to see if there is any php code in it and will action that code accordingly. But if the file only has plain text and / or html in it, the server will still display the page normally.

As for your question about domain search tools, you could try some of the ones available for free on this page

Hope that helps.

Rabbie.

Hi (apologies about the incorrect forum, I thought I had chosen wisely!),
    and thanks Rabbie for the ideas, but can you clarify for my ageing brain, the method of changing the extension of just one webpage and uploading to my website? Having said that, perhaps I just need to upload it as an htm file with the script embedded (in a placeholder?) and then go into my website file managers and rename it to a .php file, as you said? But let me know of course. I will also check out those tools you mentioned in the meantime, many thanks,
    Rikko
    8th Feb 10

In the Web Properties menu for any page in your site there's a tab for page properties, including the name to save the page as when it's exported. Instead of pagename.html just name it pagename.php.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Thanks Spinny, it all seems too easy now, I guess sometimes we look for the difficult answer when we don't have to!