Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Links not working when maximizing newly opened browser window before fully loaded

Hi everybody!

I seem to have a problem that I cannot figure out how to solve and my have double posted this question here: http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=10834. Please accept my humble apologies. I only thought it may have been the wisest thing to post my question in this forum after I'd already made the post at the abovementioned HTML forum seeing as though I am using Xara to develop my web pages and it may be something easy for you guys and gals!

Here goes:

My website is http://www.ppsshortterminsurance.co.za.

I have a link to it on a forum I am running (http://www.gpforum.co.za), and when clicking on the link (an advertisement), a new browser window opens up. I use IE7. The new window is not the maximized nor the minimized version; that medium one, if you follow what I mean.

The code created by Xara when creating the HTML for the website seems to have lots of items loading when the page opens up, and if I MAXIMIZE the newly opened browser window before all the items have loaded, none of the links in the navbar work.

If I wait for all the items to load in the medium window and only then maximize it, then the links work. Also, if I maximize it before it's fully opened and then Refresh the page, all the links work.

What can I do to rectify the problem, please?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated!

Kindest possible regards

Harry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Links not working when maximizing newly opened browser window before fully loaded

Harry I have moved your thread out of the > Talk Graphics > Xtreme and Xtreme Pro > forum to the > Talk Web > Web Designer / Xtreme >

Please take care where you open new threads.

Default Re: Links not working when maximizing newly opened browser window before fully loaded

Nothing make much sense to me about your post.

You say you have a link at gpforum.co.za/forum/ (banner ad top right) which opens your Xara built site at : ppsshortterminsurance.co.za and the window which open is meduim size and isn't loading the navigation links properly?

Is this right?

I see no problems loading it in any browser at all.

Besides, the banner ad link at that forum has absolutely nothing to do with the exported code of your Xara built site that it links to.

Unless you can show a connection to a genuine Xara related problem your thread looks like commercial promotion.

Hi slegder

I apologise for not placing it in the right forum. Thanks for moving it. I had to read your last sentence twice before I understood what you meant - and then my heart jumped. I guess people do this kind of think to get links (as one did on my forum) but I do have a problem. I tried removing the hyperlinks in my first post to reefr to the addresses the way you do but cannot see any "modify" or "edit" button. Feel free to do so if you like.

You did not read or understand my question, it seems. Because of that, I have to answer your question "Is this right?", with a "No" Please read this section of my original post again and then refer to my expansion below:

if I MAXIMIZE the newly opened browser window before all the items have loaded, none of the links in the navbar work.

If I wait for all the items to load in the medium window and only then maximize it, then the links work. Also, if I maximize it before it's fully opened and then Refresh the page, all the links work.
    Please make sure you check for my problem by doing EXACTLY what I alluded to above:

1. Click on the link to the ppsshortterminsurance website (in the gpforum website (The banner ad at the bottom or at the top right).
    2. Do NOT open a blank browser page, type the address in and press enter - people will not necessarily do it that way if they do not have the address;
    3. Once you click on the banner ad, a new medium sized browser window opens up on my machine, taking the person who clicked to the web site of ppsshortterminsurance;
    4. NOW, (important!!) WITHOUT WAITING FOR THE WEB PAGE TO FULLY LOAD (important!!) in this new medium sized window, maximize this new browser window by clicking on the maximize button located to the right top of the browser window. It is very important that you do not miss this vital requirement again as you missed it in my first post;
    5. After you maximixed the window, the loading web page will only finish loading in this maximized window.

And here you have my problem: Click on any of the links in the NavBar - NONE OF THEM WORK!

When you say that you cannot find any problem, did you do it this way or not? If you did not do the above, as you must have done before replying to my first post, and clicked on the links either in the medium sized window OR if you'd maximized the window only AFTER the page had been fully loaded, then you will not find any fault.

Should I say again that I am using IE7?

This is why I underlined the words "before all the items have loaded" in the important sentence in my first post.

Please try again and you'll see what everybody else see.

O by the way, I know that the banner ad has nothing to do with the xara code. Instead of simply providing you with the link, I thought you'd want as much information as possible, so I pre-empted any possible requests. If you still feel aggrieved at me using links to URLs, and if you cannot see what my problem is, then feel free to delete this thread. I know that I should be nice and kind and humble and all that because I am the one needing help, but I too, feel aggrieved at your insinuating that my problem is nothing other than spam or "commercial promotion", as you put it.

Harry

just one thing I noticed since the previous post: Do not click on Maximize before the actual paeg is starting to download.

If the medium window still says "Waiting for http://www....." and you maximize it (in other words before any items are being opened in the browser), then the links work once everything has been downloaded in the maximized window.

The problem only seems to occur when the small window is maximized while the items are being loaded.

Harry

Harry I can't see any issue here. Not saying you don't have the problem but for me the site loads so fast, everything loads instantly and I cannot repeat what you are seeing.
    For you, it must be just a result of your (slower than mine) internet connection speed and the browser having to re render the page again after it has already partially rendered it in a smaller window.
    Can you repeat this in other browsers, or is it just IE7?

Cant reproduce the effect here, FF3.6 and IE8

Hi sledger

Then it must be a IE7 thing, I suppose, or something to do with our slow connection speeds. I do not personally have access to other browsers, but even if I upgrade to IE8 or FF, I am still concerned about my South African audience, some of which may still have dial up!

In the mean time, i put a note on the home page saying that if the links do not work, that people should please click refresh. You may have seen it.

Thanks for your time and effort!

h