Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Have names appear in the Object Gallery?

I didn't see this mentioned before, apologies if I just didn't use the right search terms.

I'd like to see applied names appear in the Object Gallery. So if, for example, I create a Rectangle, and then apply the name "Box01" to it, in the Object Gallery instead of just "Rectangle" it appears as "Rectangle:Box01." When I have a layer containing many of the same type shape, or many groups, being able easily to distinguish them at a glance by naming them would be huge.

Thanks.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Default Re: Have names appear in the Object Gallery?

I think that this is one of the best suggestions for a while! I have always got to click in the object gallery to see which shape is selected to know what is what.
    Design is thinking made visual.

You can click the object name in the Name gallery and it selects that object on the page.

Then you'd have to keep two galleries open, cluttering the workspace that much more. I don't have dual monitors and the Object Gallery is the only one that's important enough to my work flow to be open 100% of the time. My suggestion would make it that much more useful, and in my case at least would be far more efficient use of screen space.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Be nice if you could click on the "Group" designation in the gallery and give it name.

Give any group a name. Then the group you want to know the name of via the layer gallery (without opening the name gallery), Right-click>>Names - and it will show you that group name.

I was suggesting swiping the group in the object gallery (as can be done with the Page and Layer names).

I assume since the Layers and Pages don't require using the Name Gallery there isn't a good enounh reason for do soing and probably wouldn't be for groups either. (Besides the Name Gallery can get big fast when copy named objects.)

However, having a group name appear in the Layer Gallery could be useful for complex drawings and templates.

Agreed. I'd prefer seeing the names in the OG when names have been assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Give any group a name. Then the group you want to know the name of via the layer gallery (without opening the name gallery), Right-click>>Names - and it will show you that group name.
    true - and useful.. if [and its a big if] you only have one group selected..

no doubt about it names belong in the object gallery - IMO

[yes they are in the name gallery, but again - mutliple selection throws this into confusion in the object gallery because you can't tell which is which at layer level]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just to clarify.

I am only suggesting that the text inside the parenthesis of (Group) in the Object Gallery could be edited directly in Object Gallery and would be for descriptive purposes only. Like the Page and Layers names, the group description would not be an element of the Name Gallery.

This would be intended as a reference aid to the user when there are many or complex groupings. Soft groups are not shown in the Object Gallery, therefore, would not be involved.