Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Newbie question

Wink Newbie question

Am trying to trace/copy a cartoon figure (Chief Wigum from the Simpson's) as a way to learn techniques. With the Shape Editor tool I can do a good job but then can't fill what I've created. Do I have to make a big shape and then more little shapes and Arrange/Combine in different combinations, or is there another way? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Default Re: Newbie question

Welcome to TG Forums,

I have moved your post the the Xtreme and Xtreme Pro forum. The Xara Xtreme 5: The Offical Guide is a forum for discussions about Gary Boutin's book only.

Drawing and colour filling cartoons is a popular subject and one which has been discussed many times over the years. I invite you to try using the forum search engine to find many of these posts.
    Mean while here's a YouTube video from one of our favourite Xara cartoonists (and there are a great many favourite cartoonists at TG )

Default Re: Newbie question

Well, although it's not a "book question", there's no harm in posting a reply Things are pretty quiet around here in any event...

You can indeed fill what you've traced when using the Shape Editor Tool; you just have to close the shape. To close shapes, click either end point with the Shape Editor, and then press ENTER.

You also might try combining shapes, and the easiest way I can think of to get all the Arrange menu commands at your fingertips is to choose Window>Control Bars, and then put a check next to Arrange.

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrange.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	69501