Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Wire Fusion and Placeholders

Hi, I am tyrying to add some interactivity into a web page created in Xara Xtreme Pro 5. Wire Fusion is a software that allows you to import 3D models and then export them embedded in an HTML file such that a user can rotate or zoom into the model from his/her web page. Wire Fusion gives you the HTML code plus two folders, one containing the Wire Fusion player and the other containing the model details. In theory you should be able to add the HTML code into a Placeholder, then add the two folders to the same Xara folder that contains its index.html file. Here's the problem: As you may expect this doesn't work. I have placed the Wire Fusion HTML code into a Placeholder, exported my xara website to a folder on my hard disk and then added the two other Wire Fusion folders. This is the Wire Fusion HTML code:

<!-- BEGIN WIREFUSION PRESENTATION CODE --><!-- Note: Presentation parameters are located in "FloorConstruction/launcher.js. --><div id="debugOut"></div><script language="JavaScript">opengl=false;</script><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="FloorConstruction/launcher.js"></script><noscript>To view this <a href="http://www.demicron.com/wirefusion">WireFusion</a> presentation, you need to enable JavaScript.</noscript><!-- END WIREFUSION PRESENTATION CODE -->

I am aware no one could try this out if they dont have the other two Wire Fusion folders but can anyone see a problem with trying to put this code into a Placeholder? Secondly is my methodology correct i.e. exporting the Xara website to a folder on my hard disk and adding the two other Wire Fusion folders to it?

Many thanks guys
    Geoff

Default Re: Wire Fusion and Placeholders

Welcome to TalkGraphics Geoff

Yes you need to use a placeholder for the script.

My guess is Xara will look for the application in the index-HTML-files folder, so try putting the application in that folder (once it is created).

Hi Gary, thanks for getting back so soon. I did try this method this morning but it still doesn't work. I guess Xara has a proprietery way of handling things. I will fire of a query to support. Thanks for your time. Geoff ps If you get 2 responses from me it because my first dissapeared!

You haven't mentioned anything about the problem, only that "this doesn't work". This gives us very little to go on.

Provided the FloorConstruction/launcher.js is in the correct relative path, adding the code to a placeholder should work without error.
    Those additional folders should not be in the index_html_files folder, but in the root folder (same folder as index.htm)
    Remember that 'previewing' won't necessarily work.

ps: personally I'd remove the uppercase characters for the folder name (path) to the .js file

Hi Sledger, thanks for getting back to me and sorry for not being more explicit with 'doesn't work'. What happens when I click on the index file is that the web site opens up and all pages display but when it gets to the page where the HTML is embedded the page just displays a a light frame around where the animation should take place and with a tiny icon in the upper left corner of the frame. I take your point about preview so I exported the website to a folder on my hard disk. I have just removed the uppercase characters and it has made no difference. Clearly something is amiss as this should work but being a bit of a newbie to web design and HTML its quite possibel I have missed something. Is there anyway I can email you the two other folders, the file sizes are very small? Regards, Geoff

Yes, you can email to sledger-at-gmail-dot-com

Thanks sledger, I'll get the files over to you today.
    Geoff

Thanks Geof, done and sorted
    I didn't post the results here without your permission, so please review the email I sent you and if possible remark and conclude your thread with enough information that it might help others in a similar situation.

Smile Re: Wire Fusion and Placeholders

Sleger, many thanks for this. I have now been able to include interactivity on the website through Wire Fusion and Placeholder. For others, it is key that the HTML code in the placeholder is clean and tidy and that the appropraite files are uploaded to the right place. In my case the extra two 3rd party files had to be uploaded to the same folder as the index.htm file NOT the index_htm_files folder. What you may care to remember also is that the index_htm_files folder is never deleted so even though you modify your website, remove pages etc it will always contain the files that you thought were deleted! This is not a bug but can impact on uploading to a server.
    Regards to you all and a big thanks to those who offered advice and 'sledger' for solving the problem.