Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

video Your video editor of choice?

I'm curious about which video editor for Windows that you use and swear by? (Personally I have only found video editors to swear at!)

Default Re: Your video editor of choice?

The only one I was not swearing at is VirtualDub, though it's not quite an editor.
    John.

I agree, I liked Vdub, it used to be good for many quick jobs - unfortunately modern digital camera/camcorder movie containers appear not properly supported. There are several plugin packs to allow importing of the common .MOV and .MP4, but they are not working with all codecs. H.264 is not supported.
    VideoPAD works ok up to a point, but as soon as you give it some real work, it struggles and effects the output negatively. Forget editing/merging 1080p with it. Adding audio with a different bitrate to that of the video clips own audio track also proves troublesome for the software.
    VirtualEdit also looked promising, but again does not support H.264 or AVC audio streams, something which is now common to modern camcorders.
    I recently tried MAGIX Video Edit Pro software, nice UI, but it was painfully slow application, like a slug in a head wind and also failed with MP4 using H.264, so it went (interestingly the 30 day trial announced I had 7 days left on first run!?)
    Yes you can first convert to other formats and then import - but you loose a little IQ and well, it's extra time involved.

I really like EditStudio 6 from Mediachance. It's pretty easy to use, has a lot of built-in effects and transitions, and it's only $89. I also like it because it works very well with DVD-Lab Pro, which I use for DVD authoring.

Well, once I bought a program called Studio 9.1 and upgraded it to 9.4
    and after that I had enough of video editing. Or more Pinnacle, although
    I have to say that their TV card worked fine. I think they still have the
    'in the next version the bugs will be gone' mentality, and after I don`t know
    how many versions some bugs never got adressed, and many more appeared
    (if I read the newsgroups about video editing right.)
    So when I have a good cashflow again I might try that field again, and
    I'll ask you guys for advice on a good program, but for now, pinnacle has
    put me of this for a long while now.

(but I still have the program, never use it)
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum and Corel VideoStudio Pro X2. I also tried Magix but didn't like it.

I only recently went for Sony Vegas, which I think just has the edge over Corel.

Pinnacle 12 Ultimate. Been using it since version 8. Haven't upgraded to 14 since I will probably switch to Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects.

It's a little different, but I've found a video editor that works with MP4 very well.
    MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0 from Womble.

Scrubbing is good, the output quality is good.
    Preview is a little jerky where there are transitions, but you have to expect that for on-the-fly rendered transitions which are only previews.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 8. Works fine for me.

Sony Vegas works well, I have the basic edition which fulfills all my editing needs. It's fairly straighforward. Also has some good music software and a DVD editor comes with it.