Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default color e-readers are coming.

Well, we had a discussion about e-readers because Gary's book had a version for an e-reader. I saw on TV today a dutch company working on a color e-reader and they said it was even possible to watch vieo's with it.
    Production will probably still take a while, but here atleast a URL where you can see the new technology, called 'liquavista'

http://www.liquavista.com/products/liquavistacolor.aspx
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Default Re: color e-readers are coming.

Well, the soon to be available iPad will be doing those things too, and more. What am I missing? Granted, the iPad will suck when it comes to price and battery life compared to the Kindle, but still.

As for iPad in general - I'm not inpressed. Here's my "review"

Source: http://www.askdog.com/2010/01/28/whe...-ipad-reviews/

Where can I find Apple iPad reviews? Everyone was talking about it yesterday, like it’s the best thing ever in computing but I can’t find any reviews on Google yet! What the heck is going on? This sucks!

I need it! Designing a logo, literally on-screen, for a customer would be impressive. Have you found any iPad reviews yet?

You can get an Apple iPad review right here… First of all: it’s not a computer! You won’t be running Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop – or Halo (any version) on it. Sorry. Yes, there will be more senseless apps but on bigger screen! It’s more snow globes, Zippo lighters and ripped-off and re-massaged games (for the mommy & daddy generation). Enjoy.

Think of the iPad as Beta version 0.02 of the iPhone (in terms of size (and without voice implemented)). Yes, this sucker will also be much more difficult to carry around in your breast pocked or purse. On the upside: muggers will have a tougher time grabbing and running away with it.

You will be able to control your lame apps on screen by dragging, tapping and using motions. A bit more advanced than the iPod granted, but it’s the same old re-hashed thing, only on a bigger screen… You can also use gestures to interact with certain apps. It’s very similar to the Wii, except that it isn’t wireless (and can’t be done in a 3D space). On the iPad you still need to drag your greasy fingers across the screen. Probably not the best platform for hormonal teenagers or people who hang around coffee and donut shops, (despite the fingerprint-”resistant” oleophobic screen coating).

Yes, you can read a book on the gigantic (for 1972…) 9.7-inch screen, but I would avoid the bath, sauna, rain… and the bus in the seedy side of town! The battery life is ok (at up to 10 hours), and will take you through almost a full day of Twittering, blogging and dirty videos.

You can surf the Web on the iPad but you have to use the crippled Safari browser.

What’s missing: no multi-tasking (you need to open-close-open-close apps…), no cellular voice, no camera (no video conferencing), no Flash support in Safari, no HD video or imagery, no support for PNG, no improvements to the OS (still uses the weak iPhone OS), no expandable storage, no stereo speakers (seriously!), the battery is baked in like on all other Apple gadgets, no choice of carrier at release (forced to use AT&T) just to mention a few limitations.

These toys are priced from US $499.00 to US $699 + around US $130 for 3G.

Conclusion for this Apple iPad review: The best thing about this toy is that the display uses (green) arsenic-free display glass, so it’s perfectly safe to keep your latte or donut on the iPad while you get your work done on a real computer.

Looks: 4 out of 5 stars.
    Innovation: 2 out 5 stars.
    Technology: 1 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by RTK; 28 January 2010 at 08:55 PM.

Risto your opinion of the iPad is the same as mine. It sucks.

AT&T wireless has no presence in my area so I would have to drive an hour away to even get a flaky signal.

Apple seems to be playing the same old game they have for the past 35 years. Make it cheap but price it very high and throw enough money into advertising that some people will still buy it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

for the past 35 years.
    Well, they had some real innovations. And I mean not borrowed or revamped. But that was back at the times of Steve Wozniak. He's the real inventor whose genius allowed that Apple tree to grow and blossom. And even to survive the PC tornado in early 80s. Yes, I'm talking about Apple II.
    Another Steve is also a genius, but a marketing genius. He's the wizard of marketing opportunities and advertising.
    And despite he is now a canonized saint autocrat of the Apple, it's not fair to forget that this apple was planted by two Steves. And who knows where would be Jobs now if not with Woz back then.
    John.

iPad Released - Steve Wozniak's Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    iPad Released - Steve Wozniak's Opinion
    He's the Apple shareholder, isn't he?
    John.

John I agree about the two Steve's.

About the Apple ][ the biggest selling point for that machine was the CP/M card. If not for that card there would not have been many of the machines sold. Even the illegal Asian knock off models would not have sold without the CP/M card. Every "Peach" sold in Japan in the late 1970s through the 1980s was sold with a CP/M card. Not that I would have bought a "Peach"
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The CP/M card was obviously a valuable add-on since there was a lot of CP/M software available for some time. Though it was not a reason but a consequence of the Apple's success and capabilities. Otherwise everyone would buy CP/M machines instead.
    John.

Actually it was a means of promoting failing sales. No software was available for the Apple in the 1970s and there were many applications available for CP/M. To have a program that would run in the native Apple ][ mode you needed to write your own using Apple Soft (written by Micro Soft. Later there was Apple Pascal (also written by Micro Soft).

For CP/M there were many existing applications and there were many programming languages to choose from. The most popular for many hobbiest was MBASIC (Micro Soft again . There were C compilers, Tiny C compilers, compilers for Forth, Lisp, Pascal, and many other languages.

This information is all from my own personal experience, having owned an Apple //e and //c. Unfortunately the //c was not configurable to run CP/M. I was a member of several Apple user groups on Air Forces Bases around the world into the 1980s when the Apple //x became extinct . All of us relied mostly on the CP/M environment for usability. Although I and some others did create programs for the native mode.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No message about hijacking a thread ?
    be aware, not to become a ware.