Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bug: document defaults to Arial

When I open a new document the defaults I set in the default template always work. But when I open an existing project, at least the text defaults revert back to Xara’s original defaults. I reset these values to be the default values for new objects but after closing the program and reopening it later, I’m back to Xara’s text settings. Any ideas?

Default Re: document defaults

Hi Charlie,

I'm not aware of a way to set the initial font for a document. It seems to be hardwired in the code to begin with documents template.

If you setup a template with a font, loading that template will open with the font you set.
    Last edited by Soquili; 27 January 2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Differentiate between loading a saved document and loading a template.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yep, the template opens perfectly. I set defaults for everything just the way I like it and new docs open just right. So, I do a project, save and close it and when I come back to it later, all the xara defaults are back, well, I don't know if ALL of them are back, but the ones I use a lot are. So, I must go back and reset document defaults for whatever functions I'm working with. This doesn't seem to make any sense.

Soquili,

Just a quick BTW, kudo's to you (and Sledger & Egg and even Gary -- and many others). You guys have been real champs here and tons of help to me over the years. Just to let you know how much we appreciate all the effort you put into TG. Many thanks!!!!!!

Thanks Charlie. All the moderators try to do what we can.

In my tests setting up a template a font setting is remembered. However, if I change a font within a new document and then save, opening the saved file reverts to the default font.

I've searched all the registry entries for Xtreme versions 4 and 5 and do not find one that relates to a font for a specific document.

I've also toggled on and off the "Load Current Attributes" registry key to see if that would help, but no luck.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

My template settings are remembered, so opening a new document always works properly. I have a little different situation when opening a saved document,though. It seems that whether or not I've changed a default for that document, when I reopen in, I get the Xara default (at least for the text tool, I haven't tried the others so that I'd remember what happened). I suppose it's a minor thing, but it does get to be frustrating when I click on the text tool and start typing only to realize that I have to delete what I've done, change to another tool, then back to the text took without anything else being selected, set new document default for text font, size, etc. and have to do this every time I reopen the document.

At least, I've learned what Ariel face looks like.

Yes it's a bug

But you don't have to delete anything or change tools just because it's the wrong font Charles.

Start your new text block area and enter your text, do not deselect the block of text, instead go straight to the font selection drop-down list and find your preferred font. The text you have typed will live-preview and live-update to the font face you choose in the drop-down selection list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font-live-update.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	69442

Default Re: Bug: document defaults to Arial

Thread moved to Dear Xara.. for the attention of Xara devs.

Default Re: Bug: document defaults to Arial

Sledger, the problem with your suggestion for changing font face is that I'd have to do that every time I start new text. I deselect everything so that when I then select a font face from the drop down list I can set it as the default face. That default will stay for as long as I have the document open, but then if I close and then re-open the document, I must do the same thing again.

Many thanks!