Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create a Live Webcast of your desktop (windows)

Hey All,
    Well I am a Xara Web Designer user but I thought everyone could use this information, I created my site to actually show a live broadcast of my desktop as I work on my projects. So I thought after doing all that work, I'd share how I did it.

I created a pdf with all the details on how to do this.
    (You can choose when you want to broadcast).

You will need:
    Computer (lol)
    A website page where you can modify your html (sometimes free)
    Windows Encoder 9+ (free)
    Manycam (free) or Camtasia (not so free)
    You may need PFConfig, if your firewall is complicated (not free)

The instructions within the pdf include images and copy/paste code to insert Windows media player into your website page. The pdf features using Manycam, but you will get the same results with Camtasia.

I hope you find this information helpful, it's rather easy to webcast your desktop, I hope some adventurous people here will try it themselves.
    (posted also at another forum conceptart.org)

~~Richard~~
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: How to create a Live Webcast of your desktop (windows)

Do you have a working example Richard?

my own website:

www.scirpg.com

Trying out Xara Web Designer.
    I might do a few additional slight modifications still...

I embedded the object code, but I did notice a difference between IE and Firefox WMP positions, so for IE, some words show up to prompt the user to use the stand alone link, Firefox users will see the media player cover over the message and the WMP opens up automatically. If I'm offline you just get a black space, I might figure out how to embed a static image there when offline.

How many people can simultaneously see your desktop this way?

A fun idea, but your example is a little too small to be of much use and yes, I doubt you would have anywhere near the bandwidth necessary for too many people to watch the stream simultaneously.
    Better off sticking to JING (free from TechSmith (the Camtasia people)) or a YouTube video from a desktop movie capture app (I use FASTSTONE) and let proper streaming servers handle the load.

Yes, if you are planning on high volumes of people, its best to use a service provider.

I'm on cable, you can webcast to a 5 max people as its set up right now.
    I've only had 2 people max watching,
    I can also alter the size, there is flexibility.

Free casting, from someplace like Camstreams, only allow 15 viewers max.

But, I use it as a curiosity gimmick, some people just like to see how things are constructed using 3D programs.

Also the encoder does list who is watching by IP.

More info here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...vice/0068.mspx

How can I allow more than five clients to connect to my encoder?

By default, up to five players or servers can connect directly to the encoder to play or host a live stream. You can increase the maximum number of direct client connections (up to 50) by editing the registry on the encoding computer.

With Windows Media Services 9 Series, you can easily host hundreds or thousands of connections, depending on the hardware that you are using and the bit rates of the content being streamed. So, if you want to stream to more than 50 clients, you should consider hosting the stream on a Windows Media server.
    Last edited by Magnatude; 26 January 2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added info

Hi there,

I found this thread originally whilst searching for an answer to the same question - how to live stream my desktop to a webpage at good quality to any size audience.

I found a nice easy answer - but using flash live streaming, not windows....

http://www.screen2flash.com

Combined screen capture and live flash streaming application - not free, but does exactly what it says.

Hope this helps,

D.