Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Cache

Default Cache

I have Vista, PSPx2 ultimate. I got the computer about a year ago and then we were gone for 6 months so I am still kind of checking out this machine and this version of PSP out.
    When I open the program it will say it is saving cache.
    I have a lot of ram so I am wondering if I really want to save it and why is it saving things when I haven't been using it? If I don't need it where do I find it to dump it?
    It may just be me but when I got this computer I went from 40GB hard drive to 620GB and from 256MB of ram to 8GB......and it seems that everything is this computer is trying to use things up before I can.... Maybe it is just me....lol
    Thank You....

Janet
    IP

Default Re: Cache

To make the opening of PSP quicker then that other more expensive adobe application. PSP will save a cache file of your resource's at start this will be the Colour pallets, workspace and some settings Opening say a paint brush will then save a cache of all the brushes and so on. Providing these are not being removed by a Cleanup program they should be ready the next time you open PSP.
    The cache files will be quiet small and will be updated If it finds anything new or removed.
    I Might add at this point that PSP created a My PSP folder with sub folders that at install are empty. These folders are for saving any resource's you make yourself, download or buy. The purpose being that the main root folder will be removed if you uninstall along with its contents Of Course when you reinstall it will place all the resource back but only those that where on the disk. As the my PSP folder is not removed all your purchased or collected of the years Tubes etc are still there and not lost
    IP

Thank you,
    I always wondered what I was supposed to do with My PSP since I don't really install much into the program I figured the more you put in the slower it would get unless I was going to use it a lot, such as my ©.

I download a lot of fonts that I keep in a folder in My Docs, I don't install them in PSP or onto my computer... But when I open things like Works it says I have over 500 fonts installed and there are not that many installed on my computer.....Why does it say that? Can it see all the ones that are just in other programs? I did take and put all the ones that I had downloaded( I won't tell you how many) and put them on a jump drive(and on a disk for backup) then deleted that folder. But it still said I had over 500 installed.....lol.....
    Thanks again..Janet
    IP

Well as you mention fonts Psp's behaviour is the same as words In that you can open a font and minimise and it will be in the fonts drop down list You did not have to install just open The bad news that does no longer work in Windows 7.
    If word says you have over 500 installed I expect you have Some may be windows fonts in other language's that you cant see unless you change to that language
    IP

Hi Janet,

Microsoft Works only sees the fonts installed on Windows. Those fonts will be installed in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder.

If you install fonts through any application running on Windows it will place them in the Windows\Fonts folder.

Font Manager programs can be used to move fonts between a temporary storage location and the Windows\Fonts folder. Older versions of Windows (XP and Older) would require more time to boot of more fonts were installed so font managers were very popular because fonts in the temporary location were not loaded during boot time.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yes I did forget that. I have Printmaster that I use for making cards, lables etc. And this version installed the fonts. I hate that. I do use a font viewer for the ones that I have downloaded...
    If I could get another program other than Printmaster that would be that easy to use and didn't spread out I would get it.

I am going to have to do some house cleaning I think. PSP has been freezing on me it always comes out of it. They have always said when you are working to save, save, save. But I never have because it has never froze on me before....I think it has something to do with X2 I still go back and use 7 a lot....maybe it gets mad at me...
    Thanks for reminding me about the other programs that spread out......
    Janet
    IP