Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WEBSITE OPTIMIZATION

Wondering if some of the more experienced users could offer some advice.

I built this site using XPRO5... that's why I'm posting here... hope it's the right place....

I'm getting a few complaints that this site is 'loading slow'. On my system and on quite a few others, it loads pretty quick.

I think I have optimized the photos the best I can. If I optimize them to any less dpi they start to look blurry. (Some already do)

I know that some of you know how to check out a site and can find optimization faults. Can you offer a few suggestions as to how I can improve... especially in the area of photos....

Any help would be (as usual) greatly appreciated.

http://www.avionmetalworks.com/

Thanks again
    Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Default Re: WEBSITE OPTIMIZATION

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post

I built this site using XPRO5... that's why I'm posting here... hope it's the right place....
    I have moved your thread to the > Talk Web > Web Designer / Xtreme which is the correct place fro web related discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    I'm getting a few complaints that this site is 'loading slow'. On my system and on quite a few others, it loads pretty quick.
    Cliff you have answered you own question without perhaps realising this.

Not everyone has the same connection speed to the web.
    Not everyone has the same hardware (processing power) to deal with the incoming packets of data at the same speed as other with faster computers (more powerful)

The other thing to consider, is that those complaining of slow loading times may also be loading other websites in other tabs or windows, downloading music from iTunes, downloading emails with photos attached or have any number of other applications running in the background. Their Firewall might be incorrectly configured, their AntiVirus (which may be different to yours) may be scanning the packet data coming into their PC or in the worse case their PC might even be heavily infected with malware (something I see almost every day in my work)

You site loaded in approx 6 seconds for me.
    However, you do have some grouped images which are being exported as .PNG and include photos which were originally JPG.
    Example: ► http://www.avionmetalworks.com/index_htm_files/21.png This grouping is unnecessary and has also had the unfortunate effect of covering the play button for the VIEW SAMPLE PHOTOS bar making it impossible to activate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VIEW-SAMPLE-PHOTOS.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	69874

There's no gain in using PNG for photos, so always make sure Xtreme exports them as JPG (you can set this in the Web Properties>> Image tab)