Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Blend from transparent object to solid object

Is this possible?

I want to build up an image that has several layers each containing one or more blends. The tricky part is that I would like to use a blend from a transparent object to a solid one so that the edges of the blend fade into the object below (which might have more than one colour). I've tried selecting a transparent shape with the blend tool, but it does not select the object. If I give the object a solid outline, then the shape can be selected, but the fills are opaque and the outline can be seen.

I've tried feathering the edges, using a fairly high value, but it is very difficult to get precisely the size and shape needed as I am using very irregular shapes in my actual drawing.

I've attached a Xara file to give the rough idea of what I want to do. I would like to use a transparent object where the irregular shaped pink object in the blend on blend layer 1 is now, and also where the blue object in the blend is on Blend Layer 2. Blend layer 3 shows the effect of blending a transparent object with a solid outline to a solid object. I would like to see the star through the pink and blue parts of the two irregular shapes.

Any ideas for a workaround if it is not possible would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks,

Mermaid
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Blend from transparent object to solid object

Hi Mermaid,

A 100% transparent object is not selectable in the most recent versions of Xtreme.

Make the transparency 99.5% and the object can still be selected but is not visible to the eye.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Consider yourelf given a virtual hug ;-)

This was driving me mad!

Mermaid

You are very welcome.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

for the record:

you can still select a 100% transparent object if you use the marque select - or you tab through selections [if you loose it switch to outlines quality]

however some tools eg: blend tool, will not recognise it as selected [one approach here would be to blend without transparency and then ctrl+select the relevent object from within the blend and set it 100% transparent - the blend should change]
    Last edited by handrawn; 19 January 2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

You can also use a lower view quality, where you can see the outline of the invisible object.

Info Re: Blend from transparent object to solid object

When you create a blend of objects with transparency you can achieve different effects by also changing the transparency of the start object.

Also if you group a blend that contains transparency, it becomes like one object and you can apply another transparency to the group.

And remember, that with the latest version of Xtreme 5 you can apply additional transparency just as you can add new colors to a gradient fill. Double click on the transparency fill path arrow and adjust the Transparency slider setting for the new control point.