Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am mad at Xara over their keyboard shortcuts

Okay I know this is too late to complain, but I really feel Xara pulled a cheap move to make a few bucks.

In Xara 4 or was it Xtreme, Xara changed their keyboard shortcuts to a much less user friendly shortcuts. Like space toggling to pan instead of vector. I was much faster at drawing before this changed.

After Xara broke that functionality they put a way to "fix" it in their Pro product. I really resent business practices like this, and resulted in me not upgrading to version 5. I am not a pro user and am not going to be suckered into supersizing the program.

I'll upgrade when I feel that I am getting value for my bucks. Until then I'll do with my broken version 4. Or perhaps I'll go back to X1 when shortcuts were sane.

Does anyone else feel Xara(Magix) reduced functionality in the base so you will purchase the pro version?

Default Re: I am mad at Xara over their keyboard shortcuts

you probably don't have to upgrade

there is a [free] utility, that will change the space bar shortcut back as it was, that works with version 4

sadly I haven't got the link to hand - but when I find it I'll post it - if someone else has not done so first
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hummm - the link on the www.xaraxone.com shareware page does not seem to be working for me

http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

maybe Gary can shed some light .....
    Nothing lasts forever...

All good from here Steve.

well steve - there seem to be no links at my end [see attached] for the spacebar tool

the workbook link is ok - but interestingly the link for flash at the bottom of the screen shot is dead too

refreshed cache - same in IE8 and FFox - maybe a server issue or perhaps the site has issues? - your field not mine [cause I could be missing something obvious]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linksx.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	69208  
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ah - my fault, I misread your post. I thought you were having trouble with the page not loading

Yes, there's no link for that utility.

No, I felt stiffed when they gave Flash capabilities with the non Pro version,
    when I upgraded to the Pro version because it had that, the next version it
    was in the cheaper non Pro version too.

So from my point of view, I can`t see what you are complaining about.
    You got something where I had to pay more for.

(And don`t worry guys, I got over it and kept upgrading )
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBe View Post
    In Xara 4 or was it Xtreme, Xara changed their keyboard shortcuts to a much less user friendly shortcuts. Like space toggling to pan instead of vector. I was much faster at drawing before this changed.
    I seem to remember that the reason given for the keyboard shortcut changes was to make them the same as the industry standard (ie Adobe). I too preferred the space bar toggling the selector tool and can fortunately change it back as I have the Xtreme Pro which I upgraded to for the same reason as Ankhor.

I'm now at the point where I do not use any of the advanced feature in Pro as they are now included in the standard version. Actually thinking about it, the main reason I upgraded to Pro was to have multi-page documents which is also now included in the standard version.

Rich

Whew that's a relief. Thanks for the info. With the advent of cheaper screens I was getting tied of dragging my mouse over to the pen tool after selecting the line I picked to edit.
    Line tool <space bar> select another line <space bar> Line tool

The explanation for being more like Adobe... psshaa.. the reason why we love Xara in the first place is that it is not adobe. Adobe illustrator has some pretty bizarre work flows in it.

If this tool works perhaps, I'll reconsider getting on the upgrade path.

Thanks folks. Cheers