Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flash player message

When people view my site who do not have a flash player installed on their PC (or maybe an out of date flash player), instead of the flash, they see the placeholder image, which I guess loads by default.

Other websites display a message advising flash player needs to be downloaded to view flash content.

I assume including the flash by using the placeholder "Replace with flash" option does not include this message.

Does this mean that instead of using the "Replace with flash", I need to use "Replace with HTML code" and use the complete code produced by the flash maker software, which I think includes the message if a plash player is not detected in the viewers PC.

Am I on the right track or are there other options?

thanks
    Rick
    Follow me, it's better if we are lost together!

Default Re: Flash player message

The placeholder image is not exported when you use a shape as a placeholder for code, so without a flashplayer plugin the user will see the browsers own 'missing plugin' graphic.
    As far as I am aware, it is a built-in function of modern browsers to alert user with a message that they need to install a plug-in to display the content.
    I know that Xara's code which includes type="application/x-shockwave-flash" works to invoke the message as I've seen it many times.

However, you can always include a direct link to the Adobe flash player plugin site on your page.

Thanks Steve. I normally use an image from the flash (also images from menu bars etc) so that it is always clear what the placeholder is for.

However I think you are saying that I should use a blank rectangle, not an image. In this case the browser will be prompted to alert the user to a missing plug-in. So images should not be used as a placeholder.

Is my understanding correct?
    thanks
    Rick

Doesn't matter if you use an original bitmap image or a blank vector rectangle for the placeholder code space Rik. Once you assign that page area as a placedholder, Xara just uses those page co-ords to insert the code you have entered at that position.

OK, understand, thanks Steve