Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Placeholder size way too big! Why?

Hi Everyone,

I am sure it is me being dim but i have a problem with using a placeholder for flash and gif graphics. If I create an animation 320x240 pixels for example (could be any size) which I want to use on my site I draw a rectangle to use as a placeholder and then set the correct file in the web properties panel. The trouble is when I test the site the animation is very very small. The only way I have found to overcome this is to make the placeholder rectangle huge, at least double the size of the animation. The placeholder then obscures the surrounding content when using Web Designer.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Many Thanks
    Richard

Default Re: Placeholder size way too big! Why?

When you save the flash animation, make sure you select 'Area to save' >> Drawing in the export options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-swf-drawing.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	69245  

Thanks Sledger. I will give it a go later today. I am a complete novice with web designer so this forum will prove invaluable I am sure.

Cheers

Hi Richard,

Did you manage to sort this out?

I have stumbled across what appears to be the same issue and can't resolve it.

Are there any other "gotchas" to ensure the flash animation imports at the right size?

I am creating a flash banner in Xtreme (470x63px); it appears at the correct dimensions when I play it back in the Xtreme preview and in Macromedia Flash Player. (Opening it in any browser it zooms to the window width.)

When I embed it in my website created in Web Designer, it is displayed in the resulting webpage at about 1/4 size.

I'm guessing that it's something I've missed in Web Designer itself.

And I just checked the html that Web Designer generates, and it has the correct dimensions for the swf file, but the page insists on displaying the animation as very small (in each of the various browsers I have installed). Which means it can't really be Web Designer - so now I'm even more confused.
    Last edited by snicho; 29 March 2010 at 05:18 AM.

Snicho,

Post your *.web file and we'll take a look for you.

All ok.

Don't mind me.

After multiple re-saves of the swf, and forced reloads of the page in the browser(s), it has come good.

Now I can't get it to revert to its small rendering.

While it's working, I'm not complaining. If it plays up again and I discover what it's doing, then I'll post to this thread again.

Even though this is working ok, it is still bugging me what the initial problem is.

I went back to a backup from earlier this afternoon and found a version that was resizing to 1/4 size.

It appears that the issue is created because I am embedding the flash into a placeholder that is on the very (top) edge of the page. I may have set the placeholder to be a fraction of a pixel outside the top of the page.

In addition, it may also be that the resultant .swf file is of a slightly different dimension to the placeholder. However, this is one that I'm having difficulty in confirming.

Any idea of the easiest way to get the dimensions of an swf file? I've looked, but can't see where or how this can be displayed without resorting to writing some java or php, then embedding the reference to the swf file into that code.

Any pointers as to how to extract the dimensions of an swf file? I'm sure I'm missing some obvious method here.

TIA

Steve

By which method are you embedding the .swf Steve?

I'm creating a placeholder in Web Designer, then using the Web Properties dialog to link to the .swf file with the Replace with Flash option.

With the files I retrieved from my backup this afternoon, I have two sets of files that only appear to differ by 0.02 pixels (!) in their placement or dimensions of the swf/placeholder.

To confirm exactly what's going on, it would help to be able to extract the dimension information directly from the .swf files. I just can't see an easy way to do this.

Steve

The dimensions should display if not look at the html code