Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a DSLR

Default Re: I want a DSLR

I'm also interested in a DSLR, so I'll be following this thread as well......

I'm curious if anybody here keeps up with KenRockwell.com?? He recommends the Nikon D40 as the BEST all-around SLR. Despite the fact it's only a 6MP, he claims the pixel count doesn't make a great picture (makes sense to some extent, but....). Other problem is, doesn't take HD video (which I'm looking for).

His site is pretty interesting, you might find some helpful info there.
    IP

Best camera for one person can be the worst for another.
    My advice always is to get hold of each model in the price range you budget for. Once they are in you hand you can tell which has the right ergonomics for you.

The MP wars are almost over and yes 6mp for a dslr sensor is great, my *istDS is 6mp. Larger sensors and larger MP count allows for larger prints it's true, but more importantly they allow for much larger crops, which is a great bonus.
    IP

One thing I have learned over my picture taking years and that I have always cropped. I very seldom have to crop a photo. I don't know why I have done that but it comes back to what I see that I don't need in a photo. You know like I would rather see who is in the picture rather than what they are wearing and what their whole body looks like.
    I was told to take some of my photos that I really liked and have them enlarged and printed. I will but haven't done it yet...I am still trying to figure out what I will do with them when I have them...I know I can leave them to my kids.. LOL, that is a joke around here they want us to start going through things so they won't have to when we are gone..
    Anyway, I am not interested in 15 or more MP.
    My husband told me to go and get a camera he was tired of me having photo envy...lol
    IP

Well I'm very keen on a second body at some stage and the PENTAX K-x would be my choice of a budget but very capable unit.
    The 12.5 mp CMOS sensor is ample and that it too does 720p video means that I can have a second body with an different lens for different footage.
    It's a great bonus to shoot video through any lens you can fit to the camer

Remember too, that the K-x uses commonly available AA batteries.
    IP

Steve brought up a major point. Another reason I went Pentax is that you can use AA batteries as Steve said. Either rechargable ones or as a back up good quality ones from just about any shop. I am sure people get caught without full charged batteries, if you have a special battery then if this happens miles from home, you could be doomed!
    I actually carry a charger which operates on mains power or in the car.
    The Nikons, I think it is a D60 here, is very good value too.
    There are many very good cameras of different makes which are good value.
    You just have to get what suits.
    Always remember, a good photograper can take a good photo with a lowly priced camera!
    Rupert
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by meltsner View Post
    I'm curious if anybody here keeps up with KenRockwell.com??
    Yes.
    He recommends the Nikon D40 as the BEST all-around SLR.
    It WAS indeed a best all-around entry lever DSLR about 5 years ago or so. But time doesn't stand still especially on the digital technologies market.
    You can get MUCH better cameras for the price of D40 today. The Pentax K-x is a perfect example. It IS better in every way than D40. Besides I think D40 is long since discontinued.
    You can find a whole lot of other outdated technical articles on Ken Rockwell's site. His is not a hardware reviewer.
    If you want a fresh and comprehensive photo hardware reviews I would suggest visiting dpreview.com.
    John.
    IP

One more word on the Pentax K-x - aside for the standard Black and White bodies, there are limited edition Red and Navy bodies which are proving to be very popular indeed.

More than that though, in Japan you can create your own colored K-x body/grip and lens.

http://www.camera-pentax.jp/k-x/#/simulator/060103

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colored-k-x.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	69189
    IP

The battery thing was important years ago to get the little batteries that some of the cameras used was a nightmare. So I have stuck with the regular double A batteries. I know that it is easier to get "watch type" batteries today. But like I said I am an older woman and the grocery store is closer than Walmart for me...
    Also probably because of my age comes wisdom ......well sort a.... I do know that unless the color of something is going to make it work better then it isn't important at all.
    Beauty is as beauty does...sort of thing.
    Thanks..
    IP

unless the color of something is going to make it work better then it isn't important at all.
    I like the pragmatic approach also, but I would never buy an ugly piece of equipment and neither would I consider an orange slr no matter how good it was. For me, after functionality, aesthetics and ergonomics are equally important - all of which are part of the joy of owning and using something nice, food for the soul if you will, just like colourful flowers and beautiful photos.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    If you want a fresh and comprehensive photo hardware reviews I would suggest visiting dpreview.com.
    Thanks for the link! I'd been there a while back, but haven't browsed it in full (forgot about it actually), I'm looking at it now.
    IP