Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I want a DSLR

Default Re: I want a DSLR

Thanks for posting that link Steve. Very good article for old time film photographers that are just getting into digital photography.

I may have to save my pennies so I can buy a top end dSLR to achieve the type of photos I was accustomed to with film.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I stand corrected by Sledger on the Pentax battery styles, but this actually reinforces the point I was trying to make, that prosumer cameras do not present problems with trying to find quaint batteries in far-off places (something Janet alluded to).

In the case of Pentax, standard AAs will suffice; in the case of other manufacturers, rechargeable batteries can be topped up anywhere there is a power supply. Where there is no power (like a recent trek I did in Nepal) a spare battery can be carried.

Covoxer picked up a point I made where I referred to 'prosumer' cameras. My understanding of the term, with examples, is described in this link:

http://www.photonhead.com/digitalcam...ameratypes.php

In reflecting on the various posts, I suspect we are moving away from the original question posed by Janet into more esoteric aspects of different cameras/sensors/DOF etc. I wonder if Janet has had her question answered satisfactorily, or whether she wants clarification on any point.

Again, good luck with your choice, Janet

Tony
    IP

Well, I am not quite so picky I have always thought that beauty is only skin deep the insides are what is important...LOL......To me anyway. And video I just don't have much use for it. I always thought that I would like it but once I tried it, just not fun for me. I have contacted the closest camera store around to see if they could maybe have a DSLR class. They said they would be very interested in it.
    They have done camera classes before and it brought a few people in to buy things so it does us both good. I am going to suggest the cameras for her to bring this time. To explain and to help us understand. She has the ones mentioned here so maybe it won't be long now.
    And I really don't think MP matter a lot unless you are printing. But for 4x6 prints you don't have to have 15MP..
    I like using my own photos for wallpaper and sometimes when I see them fill the screen I have a 22" screen they look pretty good.
    Thanks everyone....
    IP

Tony1941,
    The camera class I took last fall, I did get some good information but he is a pro. and all of his photos are he prints himself and are large. I am not a pro. my husband and I are retired and trying to get rid of stuff... When I think of printing even just the best (in my opinion) of my photos into just around 18x24 what that would cost I could have a top of the line new camera not to mention what would my kids do with them when I am gone? LOL
    I don't print a lot now. I have shown them on our tv and they are really sometimes take your breath away.
    I just can't wait to get rid of the snow so the flowers come back...I do like taking photos in the winter too but this winter it is getting pretty old and cold...
    Thanks.
    IP