Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a DSLR

Default I want a DSLR

Before I got my first digital camera a HP 735 that I was very happy with I had a Canon T50. I also had a 55mm lens and an 80x200 zoom. While it was more of an automatic camera I got some wonderful photos from that camera. Then a couple years ago I got a Canon digital I think it is a A590 or something like that. I am not happy with the photos I get from that at all...
    I am ready for a DSLR but what one? There are so many choices I sure wish they wouldn't come up with so many of the same thing.....but I am not in the $1500-$3000 range or more but the less expencive ones say they are entry level and I really want something more than that...
    Any suggestions? What have you had good luck with? Even spending $700 to me is a lot of money but I do want one that is going to give me more satisfaction.
    Thanks Janet
    IP

Default Re: I want a DSLR

PENTAX K-x is proving to be a great success and sits within your budget.
    Has great low-light capability and low noise at high ISO. Is available in Blakc, Red, White and Navy (or custom colours in Japan)
    Also shoots 720p movies

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-x_Black/
    IP

Canon Rebel series (I use the XT) and I am probably going to get a Canon G11(or a G10 if I can find one cheap) to go with it. Even though the G11 is not a DSLR, it is supposed to be good for up to 8-1/2 x 11 prints and has some decent "DSLR-like" features.
    I know Nikon has cameras in the same price range as the Canon Rebels but I don't know much about them but they are probably good too from all I read. Check Amazon for some good prices - just watch the shipping charges.
    Joe
    IP

I hate to say this bug sometimes I can get stuck with a brand if the first one was good for me.
    What has me looking is when I look at the old film photos with my Canon I see the depth of field the night shots scenery shots in general that I have not been able to get with the little digitals. Mostly I have been taking photos of flowers and things I can take close up because they turn out so well...
    I am not really happy with people picutures with the digitals either.. I know I am kind of picky lol.....
    Thanks for answering me. I do want the DSLR I also know that I will want lenses to go with them. That is what scares me they are so expencive too. I will take a look at the Nikons.
    With the film camera I would have one of my daughters come and say O you have new pictures, look at them and say...."You took pictures of trees".....lol....or "clouds" She just didn't understand....lol
    IP

I use Pentax. I am not saying they are the best. But value for money - they are at the top of the list in our country.
    Don't get caught on having to have huge megapixs. I take photos on four or six and still enlarge them OK.
    Like Steve, I think the latest K version would take some beating.
    The other thing to take into account is the present lenses you may already own which may fit the next purchase Although they may not give all the computer connections, they could possibly be used on manual.
    Rupert
    IP

The only lenses I have were the FD lenses from my old Canon. The digitals that I have just have the attached lens.
    I am just an old lady and don't have a need to print out wall size photos. I have been trying to get my husband to dejunk huge photos wouldn't help my cause...lol...I rarely have things printed anymore. And I don't print photos myself because I don't have a good photo printer just a inkjet.
    Thank You..
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by janetgin View Post
    depth of field the night shots scenery shots in general that I have not been able to get with the little digitals.
    DoF is very difficult with pns digitals unless you have some manual aperture and shutter controls.
    Very easy on digital SLR's.

I chose Pentax because they are not Canikons.
    Also because a Pentax will work with every K mount lens every produced.
    They are very well built bodies, I bough the latest K-7 flagship model (not in your price range) which feels incredible in the hand, solid (magnesium body) and good weight/balance.

My advice is to go to a camera shop and line up the models/brands that fit in your budget and handle them all - see which feels right in your hands and how the control buttons/dials feel to you.
    IP

We live in a rural area but I do think there is a camera shop or at least there was in Norfolk Ne. I will go and check that out when I am down there the next time..
    One more question.
    How do the older lens handle digital. I have been told that they didn't do that well.
    It has been so long since I took a good scenic photo.
    I have to admit I am kind of a picky person with a camera, I really don't mind a little bulk to them and a little weight....I have found with the Canon I have my thumb is on the button in the back and is hard to handle feels like a mini camera.
    I took a last fall and the instructor is a pro and he uses Pentax the really expencive ones. But with my old film camera I got some shots that he said were right up there with the big guys. So I know that it isn't ALL just the camera.....lol.. He did ask me if I had much trouble with my tripod.... I told him while I have one I only used it once. Everything else was because I am a steady person.....
    Thank you guys for all your help. I am going to go look at the Pentax.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by janetgin View Post
    How do the older lens handle digital.
    Just fine. There is no difference with the light that the lens directs to the sensor than there was with the light the same lens directed to the film.
    There are a few caveats such as focal length differences and having to use manual settings. I tend to be lazy and keep the same lens on the camera as much as possible, I have the old Pentax *istDS with the 18-250mm (Pentax) lens fitted and the new K-7 with a 30mm Sigma prime.

At this point I must mention that I am no pro - just a lover of photography and nice equipment (when I can afford it)
    IP

I also have to admit that I left the 80x200 zoom on my old camera most of the time. Unless I was going to take family photos. Big crowds I still used the bigger zoom...
    My sister in law would always ask me why my family photos were always so much better than hers even when I took the photo with her camera(an instamatic) I told her it was because I didn't need everyones legs so I got closer she never got it....she always said it was because of my lens...even with her camera....lol....
    A lot of family photos show people standing in a group but they could be anyone's family cause you couldn't tell who they were.
    I still laugh at that.....
    IP