Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Logo Process - What's yours?

This goes out to all the logo designers or anyone that has a fair share of their time vested in the making of a good logo.

By the way, I do all my marks in Xara!

There are times when I DUST off Illy but that is a rare occasion.

I'm curious at to what everyone does in the design process of a mark..

I find logos very rewarding! I have been lucky to create some very good marks for some bigger corporations - tho I can't list some of my best ones as I designed them as a ghost, so I must respect the anonymity of the client(s) -

I myself, take time to research, and do all I can to implement the best things to convey the meaning within the mark.

I really enjoy the slight implications in a mark, like a punch here or curve there.. that says everything..

So for instance, I have a logo I'm doing for a marketing company.

First thing that comes to my mind's eye is the arrow going up and expressing growth and profit..

Nah!!! I finally settle on a abstract mark "Icon" to the left of the type and then did a custom typeface to fit the mark..

First shot and hit a home run! "It's always a nice extra when you and your client agrees upon a concept."

It's really funny for me as my approach is different with each concept!

But, my base process goes as follows:

- Get a detailed brief! " my questionnaire is pretty detailed"
    - feedback from client!
    - Start to research. " I do an extensive research on the field"
    - feedback from client!
    - Start to sketch. "I like to put ideas to pencil and paper first"
    - feedback from client!
    - Start the process of implementing what I have gathered.
    - feedback from client!
    - And finally, hitting the mark and getting to the revisions.

I also take in the psychology and symbolism behind colors, which can be a bit hard as each culture is different..

I must mention the thing that annoys me the most, when I know that something is best suited, BUT! they want a crappy web 2.0 with gloss and a refection type of thing! UGH!

Look forward to you guys sharing your process and experiences..

Mindseye.

Default Re: Logo Process - What's yours?

To me, a logo normally only consists of shapes and a basic combination of 1, 2 or at most 3 solid colours. The "glossy" and "Web 2.0" thing is just one particular way of "implementing" a logo... (just wanted to give feedback on your last remark )
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

You may find that people won't want to give up this information easily.
    Their method is probably unique and is what sets them apart from everyone else.
    It is a little like asking a chief for the recipe to his secret sauce!

- Andy

they want a crappy web 2.0 with gloss and a refection type of thing! UGH!
    I don't know, mindseye, that avatar you are using is pretty glossy and reflective! []

I agree with what you've said here for the most part. So many "normal" people don't think about what colors mean - whether implied via psychology or via real-world associations or both. They also don't understand that "blue" doesn't really describe the color they think they want.

I was working with a guy once and needed to do something with his non-logo and, considering that it was a skin-care product site that was to be created to go with this branding, I was thinking neutrals with a few pops of something bright but light. The current logo was primary blue, brightest yellow and red. 255,0,0,0 kind of thing... - like when you only 16 colors in Paint to choose from, anyway - not appropriate for cosmetics and bath oils!

My technique is to create a ton of ideas. OK, maybe not a ton, but a lot more than I would think sufficient. Then I create some more.

From this pile I cull out the designs that have promise and refine these designs.

I usually present 6-12 designs to a client.

Lesson learned: Never present a design to a client that you would not want your name associated with. That is almost always the design they'll buy.