Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Importing webpage templates or opening other files in Xtreme?

Hi,
    I am stuck on an issue now for several days and the blood pressure is rising fast! I'm sure one of our forum readers/moderators can point me into the right direction, please! I am using Xtreme5 and have been offered some webpage "templates" from a web-host reseller company that are highly recommended to be incorporated into my own website (the design of which has barely begun, just an index.htm page so far!). The company assures me that these templates are compatible with most web-design software, specifically mentioning frontpage and dreamweaver as examples (I mentioned Xara but they just ignored that comment). Anyway, rather than ramble on too much for now, I have dowloaded and unzipped the (3) template folders, which contain several webpages and a variety of resources, images and graphics, button menu's and etc. I have finally managed to open one of the webpages in Xtreme, however I don't seem to be able to edit that webpage at all? The toolbar options in Xara don't seem to be working, or not correctly anyway? Am near my wits end with this problem and that company refuses to offer any technical support, saying that it is just a "bonus" (ha!) that is given when signing up (it's only after that one finds out that they won't or can't help with any advice). It looks to me as if the templates were probably designed using Adobe (photoshop?) software but the company insists that I do not need to use Adobe software for these templates? I do have a copy of Adobe photoshop but have no experience in using that software at all, and would prefer to stay with Xara. The pages appear to have been professionally prepared and well-designed and would be excellent in my case? Also, what is the appropriate method to bring those folders and files into my own website in Xara? Any early thoughts please or simple answers to these questions would be much appreciated!
    Many thanks,
    Rikko
    12 Jan 10

Default Re: Importing webpage templates or opening other files in Xtreme?

Hi Rikko,

Xara Xtreme or Xara Web designer are not HTML editors and cannot import prepared html template files from any other software or their folder structure.
    Xara is a HTML generator only.
    There is no HTML code internally, the saved .xar or .web file structure is not HTML.

However, web templates from other software can be used as a guide.
    For example, you can load a template into a browser and take a screenshot, paste that into a new (special) layer in Xtreme and use it as a guide to rebuild the site template from the templates resource graphics.
    Links and rollovers/mouseovers or other special scripting ect will have to be manually redone using placeholders and layers.

Default Re: Importing webpage templates or opening other files in Xtreme?

Thanks Sledger, that undoubtedly explains the problems! I will try that strategy and see how I go,
    Cheers,
    Rikko
    12 Jan 10