Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Error upon launch of Web Designer Windows 7 64bit

I installed Web Desinger on a new computer:
    Intel Core i7 920
    6 GB Ram
    ATI Radeon 4650
    Windows 7 64 Bit

Installation went smoothly and Web Designer opened normally.
    Subsequent launchings however caused a blank popup window to appear, unpopulated except for the check box titled "dont show this again". To continue I have found that I need to check this boxand click "Esc"which is followed by the normal "tip" window which I can then close and proceed.

Furthermore trying to apply the 5.02 update fails with the message "unable to connect to server. Please check your internet connection".

I have uninstalled Web Designer and reinstalled it but to no avail. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	69064  

Default Re: Error upon launch of Web Designer Windows 7 64bit

Welcome to TG Janstan,

I recommend you contact Xara Support and include information about other running software (Security / Firewalls etc)

Thanks. I have opened a ticket with support as you suggested. I am using only the Windows Firewall and Avast AV which I disabled to no avail. Nothing else is running (apart from the usual processes which even the best of us find hard to identify) and I'm pretty confident that I have no malware or viruses on my new machine. Very frustrating since every other program, most of which are 32-bit versions, run normally although I have read that some programs don't sit too comfortably under the 64 bit version of Windows.

I will await Support's response unless some other Forum user has an inkling of what is going on

Cheers / Stan

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

FYI: I run Web Designer / Xtreme Pro 5 / Xara3d 6 on Windows 7 64bit on a dual-core AMD without any dramas.

Very limited response from Support this morning as follows:

"Hello,

I would suggest that you disable your firewall and anti-virus and try to update the program again,
    Many Thanks
    CS "

No reference to the first error of the "ghost" pop-up window.

Disabling the firewall and AV did not change the situation. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by janstan View Post
    Very limited response from Support this morning as follows:

"Hello,

I would suggest that you disable your firewall and anti-virus and try to update the program again,
    Many Thanks
    CS "

No reference to the first error of the "ghost" pop-up window.

Disabling the firewall and AV did not change the situation. :-(
    I too run web designer and xtreme on 3 different windows 7 machines with no dramas at all.

You could try right clicking the launch ico then selecting compatability then tick to run the programme as Vista or even XP but to be honest you shouldn't be getting any issues at all really.

I would go back to xara cs and tell them you have already tried their suggestion to no avail and would they mind providing you with some realy support instead of copy and paste answers. (they can be a nit pants sometimes, not the worst but certainly not the best!)

Good luck

Are your Windows 7 systems 64 bit?

If that is the case then it would appear that some program which I have installed is causing the problem. I was hoping that perhaps Support may have come across such an issue due to some line in the registry written by another program installation - something along those lines.

Default Re: UPDATE - Error upon launch of Web Designer Windows 7 64bit

Miraculously I was able to successfully update the program - this was apparently an unrelated issue and was perhaps even just a problem with the Xara server.

However the ghost pop-up window issue still remains. As mentioned I can check it and use "ESC" to continue on to the main program so it is a nuisance rather than an inability to work with the program, a nuisance I would like to somehow resolve. I hate mysteries!