Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Choosing a tablet

Looking to buy my first Wacom Tablet. Studied as much as I could but there are so many choices it got confusing. It looks like I am in the Bamboo series price range.

Just wondering what some of you folks use for Draw and PP and perhaps why you chose that model?

Thanks
    Dave
    IP

Default Re: Choosing a tablet

I use a Cintiq 12w, however that might be a little steep in price (however if you plan on creating professional graphics a cintiq is worth the time and supplies you will save)

Go with WACOM, they are standard, and work with almost everything.
    Choose a tablet that will fit you hand/stroke.
    A lot of people think that bigger tablets are better, until you start using it and discover their arm gets tired from the extra real-estate.
    If you can, try before you buy.

Bamboo's are quite practical. Intuos has lots of nice features.

But this all depends on your software, if you are using Corel Draw, a Bamboo will work very well. If you use Painter, then you might want to use an Intuos because of its features used through the software.

So in this sense your software will use or not-use certain features of your tablet.

I went with the WACOM Cintiq because it's most like direct drawing (I used to have a WACOM Graphire for many many years).

With a tablet, if you have never used one, expect to "adapt your drawing" to the tools. Shorter strokes, and the hand/eye disassociation that your mind will have to adjust to.
    For me to took a few weeks of sticking to practice with the Graphire before I could really control my coordination.
    Also practice pressure sensitivity... this is not a pen/pencil!!!

[I've encountered a few individuals online who gouge their tablets and wear out their nibs due to this mindset that the tool must adapt to THEM, its flawed thinking, like using a paintbrush as a pencil, it just won't work]

If you want to control your pressure levels as you draw, this needs to be practiced too, the feedback on the screen will dictate a lighter/stronger touch to your tablet (or screen in my case with the Cintiq).

That all the advice I can give.
    IP

I ordered a WACOM bamboo, but have not received it yet. So I can't help.
    I fully expect it will take me awhile to learn to use it. Good information here from Magnatude. Thanks Magnatude.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatude View Post
    Also practice pressure sensitivity... this is not a pen/pencil!!!
    absolutely - 100% agree - this is very important

[I use a graphire - with inkscape/expression3/artrage/painter - don't have coreldraw]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I ordered a WACOM bamboo, but have not received it yet. So I can't help.
    I fully expect it will take me awhile to learn to use it. Good information here from Magnatude. Thanks Magnatude.
    I use the Bamboo and it's fine.
    http://coreldrawtips.com/wacom/sketch.html
    Last edited by guru; 29 March 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: insert link
    IP