Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default .AI file in CorelDraw 12?

Someone sent me a ".AI" file and I am trying to open it in my CorelDraw 12.

Does anyone know a way that I can convert this file?

Thanks for your help!
    IP

Default Re: .AI file in CorelDraw 12?

AI would be Adobe Illustrator. Have you checked 1) Open options and 2) Import options? There should be the .AI option. AI files generally are excellent at retaining the "properties" of the file (shapes, color, etc.) when importing into CD.
    IP

Thanks for your reply - Yes, I already tried that but whenever I open the file I just get a solid gray box that says "Adobe Illustrator 11."

Any other ideas to help? Thanks!
    IP

CG,

Basically the answer(s) are the same ones that were provided in this thread of yours, Question RE: Opening an EPS file in CorelDraw 12.

You either need to have whoever is providing you with the files save them in an earlier version of the AI file format (say ver. 7) or a different file type (EPS, SVG, PDF, or something else that CD12 can handle), upgrade your copy of CD12 to CD X3/X4 to take advantage of CorelDraw's newer import filters, use another program that can open and save the AI 11 files in an older AI format, or bite the bullet and purchase Adobe Illustrator 11 (or newer). Unless someone else has a more elegant solution I'd probably go with the upgrade to CorelDraw X4 unless you were seriously contemplating switching over to Illustrator.

Sorry for the 'tough love' answer,
    Harry
    IP

Yes, best option is to have them save back to earlier version of Illustrator. I've got X3 and have same issue with newer versions of AI and EPS files.
    Creating Great Designs in Life and Work
    Where I Work
    IP

clothingguy, you may have already solved this but, I got the AI trial and saved the AI file as version 8 to open an AI file in X3. Hope this helps in Corel 12. Mike
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by GHEENEE1 View Post
    clothingguy, you may have already solved this but, I got the AI trial and saved the AI file as version 8 to open an AI file in X3. Hope this helps in Corel 12. Mike
    I agree this works. Open AI file in an Illustrator software and save it in a lower version...then import it in CorelDraw.
    IP