Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Spheres

Hello to everyone and trust you have all weathered the foul cimate well. Here's a question to whoever would like to respond. I am totaly fascinated with Opaque and trnaslucent spheres. I have in mind to get started early for the Christmas Holidays(I know I must be nuts) and would like to create a sphere with a frosted look that shows perhaps a santa claus on the outside surface or perhaps even something floating in the interior. I guess that's a pretty lofty goal for a guy who has just been using XaraX for a couple of months but I'm up for the challenge and I think my friends & family would be captivated by the three dimensional effect. I have gone over some of the tutorials and I keep hearing about using XaraX in conjunction with Corel Draw. I already have Adobe 5.0.2 and Ulead Photoimpact 8 and just don't know if I can justify buying another bit of software, especially considering that I'm strictly doing this as a hobby, for not profit. Anyway I would love to give creating that sphere a shot if you guys don't think it's too far over the head of a beginner. Thanks for all the help you've given me on other issues, sorry I'm just not experienced enough to return the favor.

Manny

Hello to everyone and trust you have all weathered the foul cimate well. Here's a question to whoever would like to respond. I am totaly fascinated with Opaque and trnaslucent spheres. I have in mind to get started early for the Christmas Holidays(I know I must be nuts) and would like to create a sphere with a frosted look that shows perhaps a santa claus on the outside surface or perhaps even something floating in the interior. I guess that's a pretty lofty goal for a guy who has just been using XaraX for a couple of months but I'm up for the challenge and I think my friends & family would be captivated by the three dimensional effect. I have gone over some of the tutorials and I keep hearing about using XaraX in conjunction with Corel Draw. I already have Adobe 5.0.2 and Ulead Photoimpact 8 and just don't know if I can justify buying another bit of software, especially considering that I'm strictly doing this as a hobby, for not profit. Anyway I would love to give creating that sphere a shot if you guys don't think it's too far over the head of a beginner. Thanks for all the help you've given me on other issues, sorry I'm just not experienced enough to return the favor.

Manny

Hi Manny,

You will be helping people in no time. Take a look in the xaraxone for the soap tutorials. the soap bubbles are just what you are looking for... Just mold a santa onto the face of the bubble and make him translucent...

Too lazy at the moment to find the links... I am sure Gary has a santa or two in the tuts also.

About buying other apps... The only ones worth buying is illustrator and PS and that if you are going to have your stuff professionally printed. If only printed on you own printer, then xara x1 is the only drawing application you need. The only thing I use from Corel Draw is the screen capture applet. CD is bloatware and photopaint is chipped...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Manny - John's correct that you should find good related tutorials at Gary's XaraXone website.

I attach a old image I did a few years ago. The face is that one that is on Mars.

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crystalball.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	14097  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

And here's another old image... (that's my face from a 17 year old picture).

Name:	crowball.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	16360  

Hi Ross, thanks for the advice and your work is something worthy of note. Take Care.

Manny

Hi John, as usual your advice is sage and helpful. Thanks for the information and I'll be tracking down those tutorials immediately. Take Care, Manny.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Rayner:
    Hi Manny,

You will be helping people in no time. Take a look in the xaraxone for the soap tutorials. the soap bubbles are just what you are looking for... Just mold a santa onto the face of the bubble and make him translucent...

Too lazy at the moment to find the links... I am sure Gary has a santa or two in the tuts also.

About buying other apps... The only ones worth buying is illustrator and PS and that if you are going to have your stuff professionally printed. If only printed on you own printer, then xara x1 is the only drawing application you need. The only thing I use from Corel Draw is the screen capture applet. CD is bloatware and photopaint is chipped... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mano,

It sounds as though you are wanting to make something similar to this attachment. I learned everything I needed to make it from Gary's tutorials.

The Santa and Snowbabies are a bitmap made from another Xara image I made a few years ago. The bitmap copy of the image was used so it could be made to look more like etching.

Name:	xmas-ornament.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	18835  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Here's another example with an object inside.

Name:	xmas-ornament2.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	1049  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Mano,
    I tried to attach to .xar file for the above image, but it is too large (871KB). I sent it to your email address as an attachment in a zip file. Hope it doesn't fill up your inbox.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update