Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xtreme 5 error message question

I created a 3.5MB Web Designer file before Xtreme 5 came out. At one time Xtreme 5 was able to open the file to view file (I didn't try to do any editing). Now when I try to open tha file to edit it it just gives me this error message and closes. I don't have Web Designer installed on this machine because I thought I could do all in XX5. Thanks for any help.

chuckray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error message.gif 
Views:	146 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	68728  

Default Re: Xtreme 5 error message question

Unless the file has become corrupt, Xtreme 5 should open the file without any trouble. *.web and *.xar are internally identical.

Please try Expandxar. You could also attach your file to your next post and we'll have a look?

OK here goes. Attached 3.5 MB file. I have not yet tried your suggestion.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes the file is corrupt.
    Expandxar did recover most of it (output 2.85mb), though there was an 'Unknown PNG Error' on opening in Xtreme.

I won't attach the file unless requested to give you a chance to use expandxar yourself

Steve, thanks for lending your aide, but I couldn't figure out how to open the Expandxar file in the same file asthe one corrupt. Since it is corrupt, I am planning on just starting from scratch and maybe even go a different way since I have all the images on my new machine. BTW, are there any particular file types that XARA doesn't really like when creating a website? I remember when building this one it didn't really take well to PDF's and I had to copy and paste them when open in my PDF viewer. Thanks again.

chuckray

Hi chuckray,

Using Expandxar

Result attached.

The only file types that Xtreme or Web Designer don't like are those they can't import
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve, thanks so much for the efforts that you made. I was able to go back to my previous computer that the original was created on and transfer to a USB Drive and it opens in new computer in XX5. I do plan on doing the re-creation thingy cause I don't agree with the direction the older file went in. I will look at the instructions you included and also download the attachment to see what went wrong with this picture. I plan on doing more research on creating sites in XX5. Hope 2010 in an awesome year for you creatively.

chuckray