Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Recover site from Web?

I have been using Xara Extreme to build sites over the past year. Last month I had a complete hard drive failure that resulted in losing all the orginal .xar files. I had some backups but they did not include some major edits that I had made to one of the sites. I know - I should have backed up after each revision but you get in a hurry and don't worry about it till something like this happens. My question - is there a method to download my site via ftp and re-import it back into Xara? I know this can't be done with sites built with other software but am wondering if it is possible since the site was originally built with Xara Extreme.

Thanks...

Default Re: Recover site from Web?

Xara will import the raw images linked to an HTML file, but will not place them in their original positions on the page. You have to do this manually. This is a true case of "picking up the pieces" and recreating each page using whatever you can salvaje from your FTP download.

You may want to take a screenshot of each web page (Ctrl-Alt-Prt Scr) and paste it on Xara (Ctrl-V) to serve as a guide.

Welcome to TG forums

I know this can't be done with sites built with other software but am wondering if it is possible since the site was originally built with Xara Extreme.
    Yes this has been a common misconception.
    Xtreme cannot import html pages or page layouts, whether it is it's own or others makes no difference.
    Xtreme is not a html editor, it's a html generator.
    You have no option other than suggested by maxtrac above.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I will give the "piece back together" method a try.

Just a small tip for this kind of work - take a screen snapshot of the web pages and use these as a guide (with the browser chrome cut off) in a background layer to help position the new elements of the site. When you are done, just delete them.

I suppose the same answers apply to XWD? Not even from the Export files?

Yes, you are correct OB.